How far away was your moose when you shot it?

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I've not really counted the total number of moose that I've had the good fortune to have harvested over the years up here...at least twenty.

Most all were shot within a hundred yards, and many were called right into camp (my absolute preference!). The longest was 170 and the closest was 10...I was in a ground blind that I had made adjacent to a lone tree in a clearing!

alaska80

FNG
I stopped counting how many moose I have shot at 26, that was a few years ago, over 30 now for sure. Longest shot was 714 by rangefinder and the shortest was about 20 by guesstimation. The average has probably been a 100 or less. Except in very rare circumstances moose are pretty easy to get close to once spotted.

Walt....Still at home. Leave tomorrow (Wednesday) for Fairbanks. Hope we cross paths, Good luck to you!

ElkAB1212

FNG
I’ve shot three and I’ve seen about 4 others die. All in the rut, every shot but one over 100 yards, closest was 40 yards. With the right setup and the right bull you can get them pretty close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O

onetohunt

Lil-Rokslider
Great insights to everyone who has replied already!!!! Really don't know what to expect on this Canadian hunt but if one of these critters get that close, it has got to be a rush!!!!!!!!!!!!

bradb

WKR
Mine at 587 is on here, the one with the whitetail in the pic. I have seen 1 other shot and that was called in close. Would rather call them in close, its cool

Great insights to everyone who has replied already!!!! Really don't know what to expect on this Canadian hunt but if one of these critters get that close, it has got to be a rush!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry to bother u sir but I'm interested in the 6.5 prc brass that I saw u posted on a previous page if it's still available. 419-569-8279 if so sir. Thank u

VernAK

WKR
I can't really say how many I've shot and distances of same but longest was 500+ yards .......a large wounded bull that I wouldn't have shot at if not wounded. That was with my old pre64, M70, SG with Lyman receiver sight. Same rifle took a fork horn at <20 yards. I took several meat bulls in a friend's field at ranges up to 300 yards but in bush hunting, most of my shots have been under 200 yards.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Around 85 yards. I think I could have gotten closer but had a ..338 Win Mag rifle and feared the 225 grain partition bullet would not mushroom as preferred if too close to the bull.

Last edited:
I’ve shot a few. Last few bulls were roughly 45, 27, and perhaps 75. All spot and stalk, no calling.

I only recall one bull I’ve personally taken at significantly over 100 yds, but have helped skin enough that were killed further that I still prefer a modern bolt rifle. I’ve had friends and family do ok with leverguns, but sometimes it’s marginal.

There are places were longer shots might be a regular viable thing, but most my experience has been been closer to knife fighting range. Make sure your scope focuses close enough.

Yk

Update from 2021. 60 yds for my bull and ~ 75 yds for the other one we took. Pretty on trend.

Last sunday first moose 172 yards across a pond picture was taken 5 min before it walked in
52e40ef793503f7b5bb0f483a3e3d299.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hello All:

I have taken three moose , all in New Hampshire, in my life. Moose no. 1 was taken at 125 yards with a TC Contender Super 16 4570 and a Winchester 300 grain JHP factory load.

Moose no. 2 was taken at 40 yards with a TC Contender and 375 JDJ barrel. The load was a Hornady factory 220 grain JSP bullet at 2250 fps.

Moose no. 3 was taken at 80 yards with a TC Contender Super 16 4570 with a handloaded 300 grain Nosler BT bullet at 1800 fps.