How far before going boneless?

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
Bone out unless I can drive to it. I hate packing dead weight. I also don't care too much for the meat. My family and I kill way too much stuff every year to eat it all so most gets donated to friends or FHFH anyway.
Being you are in Alaska I am interested to hear your meat hierarchy.

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
Sometimes I'll leave the rear hams intact, but I always debone the shoulders. It's all going to burger anyway so not much difference. If I want steaks they're going to be a grain fed prime ribeyes.
This makes a big difference. If I planned on grinding everything, then maybe debone makes more sense.

3 or 4 miles is the determining point for me depending on terrain for me. If i were hunting a unit like lets say NM 34, 36 or 37, bone in. Never too far from a road.

If i were hunting a unit like say NM 16b wilderness hunt, if I'm 3 or more miles from the truck, bone out.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Always bone out for me. Not so much a weight thing (although it does help), but the first thing I'll do when I get back home is bone it out, so might as well do it while I'm there and bloodied up. Then I don't have to dispose of the bones at home.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yea if you let it dry flat. You can get both front and rear minus the hocks off in one piece and shape it exactly how it was on the bone. On the rears where you get all your big roasts you have to cut very little into whole muscle. Most of that meat has to be trimmed anyways.

If you just bury the knife and start cutting yes you start to waste. And create more area yourself likely going to have to trim.
Biggest advantage to leaving it on the bone for at least 12 hours is it gives the meat time to go through the rigor process and to then relax. Makes for a more tender cut of meat. Immediately deboning it the meat will never be as tender as meat that has gone through that process.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WKR
I did boneless last year and will never do it again.
If that’s the right thing for you, then that’s the right thing for you.

I learned the gutting, bone-in quartering, and packhorse way from an outfitter I worked for as a young’un many years ago. I won’t ever do that again.

Ounces make pounds and I’m now 55 and hunt without horses. I won’t pack bones again unless it’s the skull of a nice bull.

Huntnnw

WKR
all of your bone in Pros are simply not true. learn to bone out, still hang if needed, Same amount of waste with bone in or out

Huntnnw

WKR
Biggest advantage to leaving it on the bone for at least 12 hours is it gives the meat time to go through the rigor process and to then relax. Makes for a more tender cut of meat. Immediately deboning it the meat will never be as tender as meat that has gone through that process.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
100% untrue

Viper*6

FNG
Depends if I have quick access to trails/roads or down some deep dark canyon hole 5 miles from camp. Also depends how many are in the hunting party that will help the pack the critter out.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a bone out fan but I do love the buttery goodness bone marrow and crown roast is really delightful on a table.

Laramie

WKR
Back when I was a broke kid, I packed many elk quarters without a pack- obviously bone in was the way to go. I still remember the pain. Now we always bone everything out unless it is within dragging distance to a road (always fun to show up in camp with a whole one). I hunt most of the time with two other guys and we can take a large bull out in one trip. With bones in, it would create an extra trip on large elk so not worth it to us. If you know what you are doing, I personally believe there is very little meat loss and no difference in meat quality the way I prefer to process. I separate my my whole muscle groups that I use for steaks and wrap them tightly to age in the fridge about 10 days before cutting them. Nothing dries out and they seem to age perfectly.

all of your bone in Pros are simply not true. learn to bone out, still hang if needed, Same amount of waste with bone in or out

From experience I would disagree. But I guess everyone has different experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Like I said earlier, I'll take the bone weight penalty.

While you guys are hunkered over, deboning on your knees, in the leaves, branches, bees and maybe darkness with a headlamp, I'll be at camp having a cocktail and if I want, I'll debone the next day, on a table, drinking another cold one.

My tag will be punched so there's not a hurry or worry.

Cheers! 🍺

go_deep

WKR
Like I said earlier, I'll take the bone weight penalty.

While you guys are hunkered over, deboning on your knees, in the leaves, branches, bees and maybe darkness with a headlamp, I'll be at camp having a cocktail and if I want, I'll debone the next day, on a table, drinking another cold one.

My tag will be punched so there's not a hurry or worry.

Cheers! 🍺

I'm just curious how much do you save?
1 hour start to finish for an elk by myself to debone and bag.

Bone in for me - any distance - I like the structure and not having a big ball of meat in the bottom of my pack

This for me. I’ve thought about boning out a few elk, but always just take them out the with the bone in. I’m more worried about getting the quarters hanging in a cool area then anything .

Edit to add:Someday , I’ll likely try to bone one out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
If you think I'm trying to argue, I'm not, just asked a question.

Okay... since you asked, here ya go.

Its no secret Ive posted here multiple times that I dont 'Go Deep'.
I used to, but when the Sitka warriors, flat brimmed crowd started 'Go Deep" back in about 2009, I changed my tactics.

My goal every year is how close to my truck I can kill elk.

Last year was 300yds
2020 was less than a mile
2019 was less than a mile
2017 was 3/4 mi
2016 was less than than mi
In 2015, we killed 2 bulls and a cow no more than 300yds from a vehicle.
2014 was less than 1/2 mi
2013 was 1/3mi
2012 was .12 mi

Shall I go on?

Since 2009, we've killed over 20 elk less than a mile from a vehicle.

All on public land.

Now.... why in the FUQ would I debone any elk out in the woods?

go_deep

WKR
Okay... since you asked, here ya go.

Its no secret Ive posted here multiple times that I dont 'Go Deep'.
I used to, but when the Sitka warriors, flat brimmed crowd started 'Go Deep" back in about 2009, I changed my tactics.

My goal every year is how close to my truck I can kill elk.

Last year was 300yds
2020 was less than a mile
2019 was less than a mile
2017 was 3/4 mi
2016 was less than than mi
In 2015, we killed 2 bulls and a cow no more than 300yds from a vehicle.
2014 was less than 1/2 mi
2013 was 1/3mi
2012 was .12 mi

Shall I go on?

Since 2009, we've killed over 20 elk less than a mile from a vehicle.

All on public land.

Now.... why in the FUQ would I debone any elk out in the woods?

Huh, thanks for not answering my question.