How far can you judge yardarge accurately?

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on your goal really...

If you want to accurately judge out to 40 yards - doing it by ten yards has four possible points of error. If you are off by one yard each time - then you are off by four yards at 40. Not a real accurate system for long distance judging. Also difficult to do from a treestand as you "see" more of the ground.

If you only want to shoot deer out to twenty yards, then the same error will result in a slightly low or high shot - but only an inch or so. For example, if you were aiming for the center of the lungs - you would have clipped the top of the heart in addition to getting both lungs.

One of the best methods from a tree stand is to use a range finder to double check your guestimates to trees or other objects in your area. Look at a tree (at your height) or other suitable object, guess the distance, and then check yourself with your rangefinder. If you do this whenever you are in a tree stand for about 1/2 hour to an hour - you will get very good at judging yardage. The nice thing about this is it is a way to pass time in the tree stand while educating yourself on the yardage on a potential shot later in the day...

grfox92

WKR
When I used to hunt the Eastern hardwoods for 20 years with lots of trees I could accurately guess yardage out to 100 within 5 yards.

Since moving out west, where everything is big and open, I'm not comfortable guessing range on anything.....even 20 yards.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Ehunter

FNG
We are 40 yards but we know our pace. When walking we constantly check distance we say 30 yards and pace it out and then Lazer it. But I am a old bowhunter long before range finders. Plus that is a max shooting distance for us. We prefer shorter.

4ckb

FNG
It's a good way to pass slow time in the stand by brushing up on ranging skills. I'll pick a target tree, etc., guess the range, and then check with the rangefinder.