How far do they go?

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I have my first goat hunt starting next week. I found a few goats this weekend. 1 that I know is a billy, the other 2 were too far away and I couldn't tell. How much do goats tend to move? Is there a decent chance that the goats will be in the same general area next week? I'm not sure how mobile these goats can be. Thanks for any tips!

The goats on my hunt didn't do the exact same thing every day, but they did stay in the same general area. They have a tendency to wander around their home range, but they don't pack up and totally move out. Don't worry if they aren't in the exact same spot, they'll be there somewhere close.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I spotted my billy on the first day of the hunt. He was in an impossible spot for a stalk and moved up and over the ridge and into a another unit. He didn't show back up until the 4th morning of the hunt and was about 1/2 mile away from where he was on the first day but in a much better position for a stalk. I think if you're patient and he wasn't pushed, you'll find your billy in the same general area.

I agree with the other guys, pretty much hang out in same general area, Until the weather turned nasty. then some would move to more protected drainage. good luck!

In the seven days I spent on my mountain goat hunt in B.C. two weeks ago, we could bank on seeing goats in pretty much the same area every day in the three drainages we were hunting. We noted some "wanderers" who moved in and out, but generally speaking we saw the resident goats almost every day.

Jimss

WKR
I'd agree that billy's tend to hang out in the same vicinity. Where I've hunted and watched them for years here in Colo small groups of billies tend to hang out separate from nannies and often spend more time in the biggest cliffs in the area. In areas with few billies they often hang out with nanny groups...which often wander around on grassier hillisides. If spooked away from billies original cliffs they may wander long distance to the next set of big cliffs. If not spooked much they may just head up into the cliffs where they usually hang out. Some goats may travel long distance to south slopes after the first big snow. In other areas they may summer and winter on the same south slopes and wind-swept ridges.