How far do you drive for a diy trip

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
Last season was about 17 hours one way. This coming if all goes as planned will be about 4, 15 and 18 hours drive to get to our locations. I enjoy a road trip and make the most of it.

Last edited:

Opah

WKR
what about Amtrak ? have a rental waiting for you, arrive fresh and rested.
Not sure of the Riffle and ammo restrictions or not, but it has got to be better than driving or the hassle of flying. Just a thought been on Amtrak once and had a really great time

Brendan

WKR
what about Amtrak ? have a rental waiting for you, arrive fresh and rested.
Not sure of the Riffle and ammo restrictions or not, but it has got to be better than driving or the hassle of flying. Just a thought been on Amtrak once and had a really great time

Just checked for the hell of it. Significantly longer than driving and crappy schedules.

Biggie

FNG
6-700 miles one way. But being in Central KS that opens up a lot of options for trips.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I have been flying to Wyoming, renting a 4WD and then if too much meat ends up being a problem we will renting the cheapest vehicle possible for a one way trip back home which is about 22 hours. If we come up empty handed we will just buy a one way flight back home at the last minute.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
I drive everywhere to hunt in the us and lower Canada when it is open. currently retired but worked long hours when I did work.
I run competitive Field Trials for retrievers(AKC & CKC), I also judge and these events have literally been from the artic circle to Florida, from the East coast to Montana and everywhere in between, I have had over 100 assignments and run nearly 5 times that many events. I've only flown to two events so far.

I now own the camp in Sodak but have been going with a group and solo for over 20 years its a 24 hr straight thru and that's with the dogs, its over 1300 miles from NY

Colorado has been right around 28 hours straight thru from NY, I've only done this once so far with one co driver, this year it looks like I'm solo so I may go to camp first and hunt a week or so there first then on to CO
Alabama in Feb is 20 hours plus also have to take dogs usually solo

S Carolina I do 4-5 times a year almost always solo with the dogs takes 14 hrs and is 900 miles, have done this trip over a 100 times during the last 35 years
I love long distance driving

OP
ThisIsMyHandle

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I have been flying to Wyoming, renting a 4WD and then if too much meat ends up being a problem we will renting the cheapest vehicle possible for a one way trip back home which is about 22 hours. If we come up empty handed we will just buy a one way flight back home at the last minute.

Does that cost a lot more than just buying a round trip ticket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
If Canada is open, I am driving from Arizona to Fairbanks in September
Drive to Seattle and take the ferry if Canada keeps their borders closed. It's looking like they don't plan on reopening anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
18-30 hrs. And that’s driving from AK to AK. Just goes to show how big AK is compared to the loser 48.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's because you have shitty roads and not many of them. Loser 48 huh? We'll remember that the next time you need, literally, anything. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk