How far do you drive for a diy trip

cusecat04

FNG
28hrs one way, have done it solo once and with co-drivers 3 other times.
Lets me bring the hunting gear I want as well as vehicle gear I think I might need.
Made use of some items that stay in the vehicle all the time.
1614032288668.png

Sturgies

FNG
I've done many 8 to 20 hr trips. Backpack hunted elk or other trips.

Long story short, ended up with a blood clot after this falls elk hunt. Fast forward to today and now have a couple small clots in both lungs. Didn't have any symptoms of a clot this 2nd time, just coughed up blood one morning and got checked out.

I'm only 32, talk about a wake up call.
Take care of yourself on these long trips

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
Did 28 hrs to idaho from michigan this year 1793 miles one way stayed 16 days drove back in 26 hrs straight thro with a buddy. The drive was awsome first time out west. Think we drove back so fast cause we had grape fruits hanging and were glad to see the wives!

van zan

FNG
Planning a 31 hr one way solo drive with a few stops (according to maps) in May or June. Will stay for 3 weeks or so hunting. With Biden as president I figure the price of diesel will be near $4 a gallon.

You're only on this earth once. Might as well make it count. Don't wait until the "time is right". Work some over time or take a second job. You can make more money. Can't make more time.

Last edited:

as.ks.ak

WKR
That's because you have shitty roads and not many of them. Loser 48 huh? We'll remember that the next time you need, literally, anything. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I typed that before my coffee this morning.. It was supposed to read **lower**. Don’t get all up in arms now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckrhtr

FNG
I am maxed out on vacation at 20 days/per year, between kids sports and holidays so that does not leave me enough room to add 4 days of driving to any trip. Thankfully ,I really only need to drive an hour to get in to some solid hunting. I just bought a round trip ticket to fly into Portland for some salmon/sturgeon fishing in a couple months and it cost $265, it would have been 11 hrs of on each end and $250 in fuel to drive. Pretty simple math for me.

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done around 18 hours, each way, multiple times for elk hunting. This last year was the first time solo. It’s not bad at all. It’s only 2 roads surprisingly enough. Hit I-40 out of Memphis and then hang a right in Albuquerque on 550 and I’m there.

Audio books are key. I do mostly non-fiction historical type stuff, but I’ll throw in some fiction as well to mix it up. I highly recommend just about anything by Ken Burns if you like the historical stuff.

I’ve flown as well, but it’s definitely a PITA to get all your gear there and back and if your lucky enough to have meat, it just really complicates things.

I definitely prefer driving because of the flexibility and having my own vehicle. Flying out and renting a car to come back if you get meat is a pretty good option as well. But, if it’s in the middle of winter, your rental most likely won’t have winter/snow tires on them unless you specifically seek out a rental company that advertises that as an option.

I’m trying to get the wife to move to the mountain west, but I haven’t made it happen yet. That would be ideal.

OP
ThisIsMyHandle

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I've done many 8 to 20 hr trips. Backpack hunted elk or other trips.

Long story short, ended up with a blood clot after this falls elk hunt. Fast forward to today and now have a couple small clots in both lungs. Didn't have any symptoms of a clot this 2nd time, just coughed up blood one morning and got checked out.

I'm only 32, talk about a wake up call.
Take care of yourself on these long trips

Dude you better get your shit checked out. Can’t hunt elk if you’re dead.

OP
ThisIsMyHandle

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I just need to chime in completely unrelated to the rest of the thread - Big Fan of Blue Colony Diner. Was a stopping-over point for us for years on the way back and forth to hunting camp in PA.

I never ate there but I’ve driven past it before. I did a lot of work in newtown during the late 2000s.

OP
ThisIsMyHandle

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I’m driving. It makes the most sense. I’m gonna have to start researching bbq joints that will be in my route.

zacattack

WKR
I guess I’m driving. It makes the most sense. I’m gonna have to start researching bbq joints that will be in my route.

Don’t forget other parks or landmarks. Last trip out to Wyoming I went through deadlands national park and Mount Rushmore. Never been to either before, saw bison, mule deer, prairie dogs, and bighorn sheep in the wild for the first time ever driving through the badlands. Was pretty awesome. I also saw Sioux Falls in South Dakota.

Imo 40 hours of driving each way is a very long time. And with that kind of distance in winter there’s always of a lot of risks (look at Texas right now). I would recommend either having a buddy or looking at draw tags a little closer to home and keeping AZ as a backup.

It’s a difficult hunt and this year the rut wasn’t that great because of the drought. Also hold off on setting anything in stone until you know your target unit is open when the regs come out

Rich M

WKR
1 word for you -> FLY!

I've done 2 western hunts - WY at 30 hours each way and CO at 32 hours each way.

It isn't bad getting there, then the hunt is fun and you're all relaxed and on top of life. Then you drive home and get back all tired and beat up. Plus you really don't save money if it's your vehicle.

I rented a Tacoma for the last trip at $500 for 2 weeks, then put $500 gas into it. Coulda flew and rented a vehicle for that and I would have gotten home feeling a lot more rested. If I wasn't paying for the whole thing myself it would be a little cheaper but not enough to argue about.

Now for the caveat - if they keep making such a big stink over Covid, if they make flying a big hassle, then I'd drive again or not go. So - hoping they don't go too crazy with flying.

grfox92

WKR
I've driven from NY to WY 2100 miles, 34 hours non stop, I've done it on as little as 40 when I'm by myself, I just sleep in the truck for 4 hours and keep going. I've done the drive 6 times in the last 2 years and now live here.

Considering driving from NY to AK for a DIY moose hunt in a few years. It's the same mileage and time as my drive from NY to WY and I always enjoyed that ride and had no problems doing it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk