How far do you drive for a diy trip

CJohnson

WKR
One thing people aren’t mentioning (unless I missed it) is the risk of flights getting canceled and ruining a trip on the way out. If the weather is bad enough to hamper driving, there’s a >0% chance it could affect flights. We drive 32 hours every year and it sucks, but it’s nice to have the option to extend the trip a few days and hunt all the way up until it’s time to leave.

Rich M

WKR
One thing people aren’t mentioning (unless I missed it) is the risk of flights getting canceled and ruining a trip on the way out. If the weather is bad enough to hamper driving, there’s a >0% chance it could affect flights. We drive 32 hours every year and it sucks, but it’s nice to have the option to extend the trip a few days and hunt all the way up until it’s time to leave.
Definitely if you have help driving. A solo run is tough on the way home.

I've gone from driving to wanting to fly. Covid induced flight issues may change my mind but it'll be 2022 before I go again.

CJohnson

WKR
Definitely if you have help driving. A solo run is tough on the way home.

I've gone from driving to wanting to fly. Covid induced flight issues may change my mind but it'll be 2022 before I go again.
I do have help driving. I should’ve clarified that.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
20 hours is about my limit, going solo at my age. Distance is no more than 2000 miles.
that includes an overnight in the vehicle, at rest area.
I've done both, fly & drive. Each has its merits and downsides. But retired now so driving is 1st choice....got the time.

One thing I really like about being able to drive. I can kill last day, last hour. Then have couple days to pack out, process as butcher/wrap myself, and then drive home with everything.
Few years ago dropped a bull on 2nd to last day (a Saturday). It was all I could do solo to pack out, process, pack gear/luggage and make flight home on a Monday morning. Only to fly back 3 weeks later and pick up frozen elk from friends freezer. Checked 3 coolers to get it flown home. MVP Million Miler so limit was 3 checked bags & carryon-overhead and 1 personal item.

Last edited:
So I’m in the planning stages for a DIY mule deer hunt next January in Arizona. My plan is to base camp with a vehicle and hike in everyday. My original thoughts were to drive there(I live in Connecticut) since traveling by air at that point might still be questionable. It’ll also not overly limit what I take with me or how I bring back meat and antlers(god willing). But I’m struggling with the idea of driving across the country for a hunt, even though it’d be a fun road trip(2500 miles one way). So my question, how far are you all willing to drive or how far have you driven for a diy hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am from Idaho, but currently live in TN and hunt with buddies all over the western US every year. I love the flexibility that driving gives me, but I will only drive if I am hunting for a week or more. I fly in for long weekend hunts all the time. My parents are still in SE idaho, so they will hold the meat or antlers for me until the next time I drive out. I just upgraded my tundra to a new cummins and am getting a 5th wheel to start taking on these trips with me. My job is super flexible, so spending a couple days on a road trip is no big deal.

25-30 hours one way is right around my limit since I hunt solo. 25 is HARD for me so I only make a few of these trips a year.

wyosam

WKR
Somewhere between 5 and 20 minutes. Occasionally as much as an hour or two. If I’m driving that far, I’m probably staying a few days. I do that many times over the 2.5 months I spend hunting every fall, so the miles can really add up. I had to put gas in the truck twice this year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hoodie

WKR
I´ve got a 2.5 hour limit for driving distance. I like to be in my backyard.

If I find better hunting outside the perimeter, I have to uproot my life and move there. So I try not to look outside the perimeter. Or read too much about Wyoming.

The Jersey shore to the Routt National Forest near Steamboat Springs is 2300 miles. Left at 6am eastern time and got there the next day 4pm mountain time. Two one hour naps at a rest stop was the only time not moving other than to pee and fill the tank.

The Jersey shore to the Routt National Forest near Steamboat Springs is 2300 miles. Left at 6am eastern time and got there the next day 4pm mountain time. Two one hour naps at a rest stop was the only time not moving other than to pee and fill the tank.

That’s flat out impressive

tuk

FNG
Since I drive for living, don’t really want to do it on my time off. But there is enough decent hunting areas close to me that I don’t have to drive more than a few hours to get out there.

PA Archer

FNG
Have driven from south central PA to western Colorado, western Wyoming multiple times, and western Montana once. Never drove it solo but I can say having a good hunting partner that doubles as a good driving partner makes a world of difference. Time off work is the biggest thing you lose i think when you drive, so if you have the vacation days to do it I am all for driving!

Jacack

WKR
South West Florida to utah last year. Wy the year before and nm before that solo all trips.

If time isn't as big a deal driving is the best for me. Bring way more than I need and no worry about getting meat home.

Erict

WKR
2100 miles - NY to Montana the past six years. 6 of us in 3 trucks. The crew likes to shoot a pile of antlerless deer so we bring back alot of meat. We stop 2 nights on the way out and 1 on the way back - the trip is part of the adventure. We see a lot of neat stuff on the drive. It's just not worth it to us to drive straight through and arrive exhausted. Breakfast at motel, snacks and deli meat in coolers for lunch, nice dinner at a restaurant on way out. We can afford to take our time so that is no issue for us.

Keep an eye on vehicle rental availability and price - there are more "news" reports of shortages and nothing would suck more than arriving and being told they don't have one or they offer you something too small.