How far do you drive for a diy trip

Tod osier

WKR
Going to hop on the CT wagon. I'm down in Stamford. Potentially planning a drive to Utah this fall

I plan a trip to Utah every year, but they never give me one of those OIL tags that I apply for! :(.

We were actually in Utah this year, 36 hour drive UT->CT. Son filled his antlerless elk tag.

cyKvnLs.jpg

OP
ThisIsMyHandle

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
Imo 40 hours of driving each way is a very long time. And with that kind of distance in winter there’s always of a lot of risks (look at Texas right now). I would recommend either having a buddy or looking at draw tags a little closer to home and keeping AZ as a backup.

It’s a difficult hunt and this year the rut wasn’t that great because of the drought. Also hold off on setting anything in stone until you know your target unit is open when the regs come out

I’ll be going to the otc units. It seems like a long time but I’m not pressed for time in January because I’m laid off every winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ThisIsMyHandle

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
1 word for you -> FLY!

I've done 2 western hunts - WY at 30 hours each way and CO at 32 hours each way.

It isn't bad getting there, then the hunt is fun and you're all relaxed and on top of life. Then you drive home and get back all tired and beat up. Plus you really don't save money if it's your vehicle.

I rented a Tacoma for the last trip at $500 for 2 weeks, then put $500 gas into it. Coulda flew and rented a vehicle for that and I would have gotten home feeling a lot more rested. If I wasn't paying for the whole thing myself it would be a little cheaper but not enough to argue about.

Now for the caveat - if they keep making such a big stink over Covid, if they make flying a big hassle, then I'd drive again or not go. So - hoping they don't go too crazy with flying.

The when you put it that way it makes sense. Your COVID comment is what I’m referring to when I say that flying will be questionable. It makes me want to drive.

88man

FNG
I can't drive as long as I used to as I get alot of eye fatigue at night. However, making the long trip from Pa to the west I prefer to leave at 5 or 6 am and drive until midnite on the clock only stopping for fuel and the classic pee break. Always with another driver as I have never done a solo trip by truck.

wayoh22

WKR
I plan a trip to Utah every year, but they never give me one of those OIL tags that I apply for! :(.

We were actually in Utah this year, 36 hour drive UT->CT. Son filled his antlerless elk tag.

cyKvnLs.jpg
That's awesome my man, kudos to your son!

WKR
I guess I am not that far away from the west as I thought. Only 22hrs to Wyoming and the closet is 13hrs to AZ.

I guess I’m driving. It makes the most sense. I’m gonna have to start researching bbq joints that will be in my route.

Seeing as you’re going to bypass all of the Southeast if you’re driving straight through to Arizona, I don’t see the point in driving. You’ll catch some of Texas, sure, but that’s only one state.

Personally, if you’re going for deer in AZ, and want to be cost effective as well as all around hunt ready, nix the driving and catch a flight. Got round trip from SC to Wyoming for $250 back in October. Hunted mulies and antelope for 6 days. Processing and shipping fee of our antelope (bust on deer due to wind) was around $250-300. Rental of 4WD suburban was $675 split between two guys. We camped 3 nights in tipi tent and really could have truck camped more if we wanted.

That was before gas prices rose, but airline tickets are still great. Same flight used to be $1000. I’d rather not put the miles on my personal vehicle and fly.

If you were going for elk, I’d say drive, but you’ll be better off having a deer processed and shipped.

KevinMartinez1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be driving 19 hours or so this September to colorado

AZmark

WKR
Holy Crp!!! Connecticut to AZ is a damn long drive.......I hunt Eastern AZ and Western NM for both deer and elk. I live in the unit I hunt in AZ and its a 10 minute drive to NM to the Units I hunt.

OP
ThisIsMyHandle

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
Holy Crp!!! Connecticut to AZ is a damn long drive.......I hunt Eastern AZ and Western NM for both deer and elk. I live in the unit I hunt in AZ and its a 10 minute drive to NM to the Units I hunt.

Yeah man. I’m still working out how I want to get there. Someone said earlier that the drive out is fun and the drive home sucks ass. I tend to believe it.

AZmark

WKR
Yeah man. I’m still working out how I want to get there. Someone said earlier that the drive out is fun and the drive home sucks ass. I tend to believe it.

Have you done any research on what units you want to hunt in AZ.? Youre too late to apply for elk or antelope for this year but deer applications deadlines are around 1st/2nd week in June. New Mex hunt apps for all big game are due March 17.

Billinsd

WKR
1,700 miles one way to Sioux falls, SD for a $15 retriever training seminar and to hunt snow geese.

OP
ThisIsMyHandle

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
Have you done any research on what units you want to hunt in AZ.? Youre too late to apply for elk or antelope for this year but deer applications deadlines are around 1st/2nd week in June. New Mex hunt apps for all big game are due March 17.

I’m looking at 4 otc units. 2 near Phoenix, 2 south. I’ve identified multiple camp spots, glassing spots and water holes in all 4 units. I can’t get there to scout beforehand but I think I’ve got enough info in the areas I’ve found to make a good effort in the time frame I’ll be there.

Last edited:

NY16ga

FNG
Another East Coaster here (Brooklyn...yes, that Brooklyn) The furthest for me was central Montana but I've also driven to Wisconsin, Kansas, and North Dakota for hunting trips. To be fair, I'm more of a bird hunter so I'm hauling dogs and additional gear that make flying way worse. Still, I don't like airports and like having the flexibility to move around without having to stay in relative proximity to the right airport, my vehicle, room for additional gear, and just things being overall less complicated. I'm hoping to hunt turkeys somewhere out west this year and I could fly for that pretty easily but I'll probably still drive. I do see the tradeoffs but I just love a road trip. On my last trip to North Dakota for sharptails and pheasants I met my father in Indiana and he drove the rest of the way out with me and back. I wouldn't trade that time for anything, it was the last real hunting trip he was able to do.