How far do you pack in when SOLO?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Well long story short - my other Army buddy got stuck on another deployment rotation. SOOO, I will be going it alone this season. We usually go in 4-5 miles into our three basin ridge. Just thinking if I drop one again this year, solo might be handle full. How far do you guys go in solo and feel comfortable packing out. I know the elevation and terrain are a factor but still seeing what your guys thoughts are.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The furthest I have gone is about 16 miles for deer and about 8 for elk....I always figure I will worry about the pack out when my tag is punched...If more than one trip is needed. I will "leap frog" the meat back about 3 miles or so at a time depending on time of day, temperature and available water.

dotman

WKR
Solo I won't go further then 5 miles because of the meat, for me it is a waste to waste and 3-5 miles is what i'm comfortable with for elk, add a few miles for deer.

6t4nova

WKR
I'll be going 5 miles in this year. Not too worried about the pack out as I have a guy from work that will help if needed.

Another option is to carry a sat phone, or a cell phone if you have signal there, and call a friend when you get one down. Then, when you get back with the first load he could be there for the subsequent trip(s). Or, arrange for a packer to meet you there for the rest of the meat.

Beastmode

WKR
So far 12 miles is as far as I have gone. I was glad I didn't kill anything though. I was being very picky. In hot steep country that's a long way with meat all by myself. Not sure if I would do it again..... Yeah I probably will. Gotta love this addiction!!!

sk1

WKR
5 to 8 miles this year for elk....I think this is also somewhat of a personal question for each individual though. ..how hard are you willing to work, are you in shape enough to do 2 to 3 16 mile round trips to get one out, what's the weather like and water availability to help cool meat if necessary.

I don't think there is a cut and dry answer across the board by any means. With where I'm going I have no concerns about being 8 miles in and am looking forward to the challenge if I can put one down

I went in this past weekend took numerous coordinates and plotted all on my computer mapping program. Thought I was MUCH farther in (5 miles) as I have seen 1 (one) other archer in 3 years back there. I was 3.1 miles back and that got me away from almost everybody. In my Unit that is far enough going in solo I guess.

I killed a bull 13 miles in last year. It took four days and four trips to get everything out (it was in Oct, so meat was fine). I would do it again this year, but only because enough time has passed that I'm not remembering all the misery I put myself through.

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
I killed a bull 13 miles in last year. It took four days and four trips to get everything out (it was in Oct, so meat was fine). I would do it again this year, but only because enough time has passed that I'm not remembering all the misery I put myself through.

My knees are in pain just thinking about your hunt :)

Slim Jim

WKR
I am going in 8.5 miles to camp above a basin that i scouted last weekend and hopefully there are not a lot of hunters. I will go another mile or so into the next basins if needed.