How Far Do You Push Your .223/5.56?

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone
I'm getting close to picking up a new AR-15 and scope setup and I could use some input from the guys that like to get out and ring steel at longer range. The rifle will be either the 16" or 18" barrel variety and the scope likely a 4-16x. The rifle will undoubtably be used as a coyote gun but I'd love to stretch it out and take it out to 600 yards or so at the steel targets range. Certainly a 16" AR-15 isn't the first choice for pushing long range but I imagine some of you out there like to go longer with your setup and I'm very interested in hearing how far you shoot and what kind of setup you use. Thanks guys.

sram9102

WKR
Shoot high bc bullets and any decent barrel will get you too 600.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Animals or plinking?

600 is ez peazy with a good barrel and 75gr bthp hornady or 77gr smk/tmk

If ur setting up a gun it’d be hard to overlook an 18” rifle length gas tube stainless barrel setup as an all rounder.

Opinions vary but that setup has given me great reliability, and darn near 20” velocity.

Optics is always the hard choice on AR’s.. there’s always a give and a take.

16-18' will be enough to get you to 600+ yards. Ammo choice is the key.

This 14.7" barrel reaches out to 500-600 pretty well with M855 (green tip), and the Primary Arms 5X prism sight with the ACSS reticle. It'll go further with 75gr BTHP.

2tQt6Wk.jpg

ACSS 5.56 Reticle, calibrated out to 800 yards,

WdkH7dT.jpg

This is a 20" HBar, it gets out there a bit further.
QnFgmEu.jpg

Bullet splash can get hard to see out there with the smaller bullets. I have best luck targeting rocks on dry slopes, where a dust signature is likely.

BluMtn

WKR
My coyote gun has a 20" barrel and it use to carry a 5-25 scope on it and in late spring early summer when we were bored would go out to the field and range out 1000 yards and put a couple milk jugs out there and then take turns to see who could hit the jugs first. Really easier than a person would think to do it. I have since replaced the big scope with a primary arms 5x and have yet to try long range with it yet. It has accounted for several coyotes out to about 400 yards though. Just put a Primary Arms 1x on my AR pistol that I am going to use as a pickup gun when we go coyote road hunting and in the cattle pastures, calving season is just about upon us.

Dcrafton

WKR
Hey everyone
I'm getting close to picking up a new AR-15 and scope setup and I could use some input from the guys that like to get out and ring steel at longer range. The rifle will be either the 16" or 18" barrel variety and the scope likely a 4-16x. The rifle will undoubtably be used as a coyote gun but I'd love to stretch it out and take it out to 600 yards or so at the steel targets range. Certainly a 16" AR-15 isn't the first choice for pushing long range but I imagine some of you out there like to go longer with your setup and I'm very interested in hearing how far you shoot and what kind of setup you use. Thanks guys.

Just google (milk jug challenge 223) Dec. 31 2014,
This is my smith that builds all my rifles.
Just watch him with his 223

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Cool thanks for the replies. It's interesting to see what everyone is doing with their rifles. That milk jug rifle was great. Looking forward to saving up the rest of the cash for a decent rifle and having some fun on the range.

sram9102

WKR
I envy the long barreled 223 crowd on the days I take the shorty out past 400. 16moa at 500 is a fun dial.
c465282d08c742d1380c248f3f15e9b5.jpg

FLS

WKR
I shot a local tactical match yesterday, 1-2 MOA steel out to 680. I won it with an 18” AR shooting 77 SMKs. A good rifle is easily capable.

Spoonman

WKR
I have a 20” 1:7 twist barrel on my Rock River shooting 69 grain match kings and shot it at 700 yards at milk jugs this last summer just for fun and hit them. It’s my coyote gun so it’s a rarity that I shoot past 350-400.

sram9102

WKR
That’s a funky upper receiver
Ya I get some weird looks with the lefty upper sometimes. Also had to do a little work to it for the bolt release on my other lower to function. 11.5 is super handy with the can on it but is lacking when its pushing 69 grainers 2400ish at the muzzle.