How far do you really need to go?

GregB

WKR
In them mountains and by eastern count, 300 yards is a mile-mile and a quarter 😁
True, what a lot of people think, or feel is a mile is not even close. And I am sure there a some who inflate the distance for whatever reason.

cgasner1

WKR
Start hunting from the time the truck door shuts Bull last year I was watching cars drive by as I broke him down quarter mile off the county road only real thing I look for in a hunting spot is elk anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
Super cliche but......elk will be where u find em. The guy willing to stick it out normally is rewarded. I’ve killed bulls super deep and bulls a few hundred yards off a road. I’ve found there’s 2 sweet spots. Farther than the average day hunter, not as deep as the pack animal crowd. 3-7 miles. It’s all about finding the elk. But I e had the most success not necessarily way back in but in really nasty stuff relatively close to roads. If you look at it and think wow way to steep and brushy, that’s where I’m headed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd prefer to call them to the truck, but most likely you'll have to at least move a little bit. Last year I was eating lunch in my base camp around 1pm and a bull bugled above my camp from the ridge side. I made one quick cow call just to get his attention, and then grabbed my pack, my bow, my bugle tube, and release and took off. By the time I had jogged about 100 yards, I guess he had already come down the ridge side and was parallel to me just outside my camp. He busted when I ran past him at about 30 yards.

I look at it this way, the best hunters and most motivated dudes hike in on average 2.5 -10 miles. That puts that whole zone completely out of the question.

The average hunters and weekend warriors are about 1 - 2.5 miles in. I can't compete with average, meaning that zone is out of the question as well.

The laziest, fattest, truckhunters and rifraf are ALWAYS less than a mile in. That's my zone. I just got to be the best of the worst.

Haha best of the worst...love it 🍻

chindits

WKR
Elk are still getting hit on the highway in the bottom of the basin just outside of town through out the summer. I don't like road hunts or people, so I'll continue to backpack hunt to areas I just like hunting in.

wyosam

WKR
My favorite place to kill elk is an hour walk (hoofing it in the dark) and about 1600' above my front door. Never measured the mileage, but its not far. Its just hard enough to get to, but not far enough back to be "worth it" to get much attention. I've killed 6 elk in that drainage in the 5 years I've lived there. When I hunt other places, I tend to be a middle range person in the 2-5 mile range. Somewhat limited by always hunting solo, and everything coming out on my back.

Bought a 2nd home/income property that has similar access, although it is also loaded with grizzlies.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
I’m starting to believe the whole go deep movement is just a way to get all the new guys lost and out of the way of the real hunters.