How far have you traveled for a weekend hunt

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Every year, my beagles and I drive 12 hours from Upstate NY to South Carolina to hog hunt for a day and hunt cottontails for a day. 2 days of travel and two days of hunitng

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve driven 6hrs One way for two mornings of Sandhill Crane hunting. 2hrs of driving per bird.

Flew 1044 miles from Phoenix to Kansas City to hunt turkey for 1.5 days. Flew back to Phoenix Sunday afternoon, spent the night and flew to the east coast @ 5 AM Monday morning.

Flew 1132 miles from Phoenix to northeast NW to hunt whitetail for two days. Got three deer so I had to grab a rental in Rapid City SD and drive straight to Phoenix. That was a 1355 mile drive. Got home, threw the meat/capes/rack in a chest freezer, showered, and went straight to the airport to go to New England for work.

If the opportunity is right and I can swing it, I'll go.

Kaleb W

FNG
15 hour drive from Anchorage to the North Slope to hunt caribou for 2 days. Me and a buddy did the 5 mile walk from the road since we were rifle hunting and took 1 caribou back with us. That was a lot of effort for a caribou but I'm glad I made that trip as an over-eager 21 year old... Good times.

Multiple times when I was living in Minnesota I would drive to my home town in Pennsylvania to hunt over a weekend with my dad. That’s 16 hours and we are not allowed to hunt Sunday’s in PA at the time so that 32 hours round trip to hunt a Saturday. Still worth the effort.
Twice he even drove up there for a weekend to hunt with me.

This is an awesome thread.

Routinely drive 6 hours one way for weekend trips to hunt turkeys in the spring and whitetails in the late Fall.

Once drove 12 hours one way to scout Muleys in Idaho for a single day. Not even hunting, just scouting. If non-hunters saw this thread they would think we're all bat shit crazy lol.

I’ve driven 10 hours one way to KY a couple years for a weekend hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
Drive 4 hours about every other weekend January-May to Sc to hog hunt.

Have one way 7 hour trip to Indiana planned for weekends deer hunting.

Drove 6 hours to eastern shore Virginia to crab for the weekend

Drove from the UP to Wyoming mid August. , shot 4 antelope in 5 hours and drove home.

42 hours of driving.

Loco4dux

WKR
4-5 hours Max to operate effectively on a weekend excursion. Pending special tags or something that might drive one to extend his range and sanity.

Probably wasn’t worth it but I had to test out 77gr tmk before using them on an important hunt

AKG

FNG
14 hours 1-way for coyote hunting, first and last 6 hours by myself the rest with my brother to share the driving. For two full days of hunting, 1 night at the hunt area and driving through the night on the way there and back. Pretty tired at the end of that trip, but went more to hang out with my brother than the coyote hunting.

Trial153

WKR
Used to drive 8 hours one way to run hounds for two days, did it almost every weekend from dec to march ....until the kids came along.

I did 6 hours of driving for 45 minutes of "hunting" this past week.

BACKSTORY: my 5.5 year old enthusiastically begged to join me turkey hunting so I happily obliged. Place I hunt is 1.5 hour drive each way, so Thur morning got her up just before 4am, hit the road and literally about 300 yards away from our spot (on a 90 mile drive) she got carsick and threw up all over herself in the backseat. She's gotten carsick before but only if she is watching videos with her head down, which she wasn't at all on this drive so I didn't think about giving her any dramamine. Anyway, didn't have any spare clothes for her (FAIL) so we cleaned her up then just turned around and headed home. Saturday she wanted to go again so we did the same thing, made sure to give her dramamine AND brought spare clothes. But we only lasted 45 minutes before her feet hurt and she was cold (FAIL). The boots I had her in didn't accompany thick bulky socks so her feet were wedged in pretty tight (FAIL).

This was the first time taking her out with me, and I had plenty of FAILs. But, I want to do everything I can to make it enjoyable so I didn't want to pressure or force anything beyond what she was enjoying so I chalked it up as a "scouting" trip for me.

Despite the futility of it all, she loved it...loved being awake and the only ones on the road early in the morning, we at least saw a turkey on the drive in so that was cool, she did some calling, heard/saw a lot of non-turkey forest activity, climbed a tree stand, and most importantly SHE WANTS TO DO IT AGAIN....

300wmxcr2

FNG
There are no turkeys in my area so I end up driving 4 hours one way to hunt. Drive down Friday night , stay in a flea bag motel and hunt Saturday, no gun hunting on Sundays. The drive sucks but I keep doing it, cant shoot em from the couch.