How far is your average bear shot

Grizzly: 425 yards (further than desired but bear was compliant and super solid shooting position).
Black bear: Two big boars in “chip shot” distance.

Passed on shot opportunity:
* Multiple smaller black bears from 50-400 yards. Too “small” to shoot and not worth the pack out effort or a sow. Wife says no “Boo Boos” or sows so I say yes ma’am.
* Multiple bears of various sizes past 400 yards. Passed due to unstable shooting position or bears could have easily gone up and over which would make finding them tough.
* Passed on a huge black bear boar at 350 yards as I was heading out of town for a few weeks for work and wouldn’t be able to do the mandatory check-in with the state biologist.

Some country it’s all up “close” due to minimal line of site. Others can allow cross-canyon shots. How cooperative the bear is (milling around vs. cruising) and how stable I can be are the key considerations; ballistics are a tertiary concern as I’m not going to take an 800 yard shot on one.

I'll chime in, since it's probably all inclusive of different bear species. Average shot distance on brown/grizzly is about 70 yds and average shot range on black bear is about 150 yards.

hodgeman

WKR
My bears have all been 100 or less. I could have shot the last one the first time at 400, but he was pretty compliant and easy to sneak up on. Once we closed the distance to 100, I quit pressing my luck and just shot him.

I killed a black bear in Ontario a few years back, was going to the stand for a afternoon till dark sit, as it was a bait hunt, I was on one side of the trail and he walked out of the brush on the other side, He was a nice bear so decided to kill him, from where I was standing and shot, the distance to the bear was exactly four steps. gun went off and the bear was D.R.T. Figured any closer and we could of had a dance. Field dressed at 375 lbs.

MHWASH

WKR
A average for 6 black bears, all spot and stalk is 232 yards. 5 .270s and 1 7mm RM.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to see whats your average shot distance is for bear
Average shot distance is probably 20yards. Closest was 9 and longest was 35. I've shot a bunch of bears but never with a rifle. Mostly over bait but a couple spot and stock. The one at nine yards was called.

Only hunted black bears with dogs...Less than 75 yds and they are usually running at me if the are not in the tree. 45-70 iron sites. Spot and stalk on the flat coast is a no go...

I've only gotten one - about 35 yds. Been with two friends when they got theirs. One at about 100 yards and the other at about 325 yards. All were spot and stalk black bears in AK.