How far south to hunt hogs?

Fordguy

WKR
I spend a fair amount of time in Oklahoma, and in the northeast/north central area I've seen exactly 1 in the last 5 years. It was hit by a truck and dead on the side of the road. I'm sure there are more, but I don't know where. One of the guys I turkey hunt with has shot them in the central part of the state. He's even recruited my help to hunt them on his leases. Plenty of sign, but I've never seen a live hog there either. I have seen them on the western side of the state (Roger Mills county) in the Black Kettle National Grasslands. You might be able to put together a turkey/hog combo, but I'm not sure about the regs/legality of hog hunting in the grasslands during turkey season.

shadow24

FNG
Southeast KY in the Daniel Boone National Forest and several parts along the TN/KY border might still hold some, but not near enough to plan a trip. We hunted them down there years ago and saw a few and found some sign, but they just haven’t been able to explode like in some other states, thankfully. The Fish and Wildlife, along with the USDA, has done a good job erraticating small populations over the years when they pop up. As far as planning, you’d probably be better served by traveling farther for better odds, and better fun.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely not speaking for TN.

There was a handful in Hickman County, KY years ago, but kdfwr went in and eradicated them.

One of those deals where I'm glad we don't have them in my area, but at the same time wild hog bacon sounds pretty good
I'm speaking LBL and surrounding areas in Kentucky, specifically.

Buck197

WKR
I spend a fair amount of time in Oklahoma, and in the northeast/north central area I've seen exactly 1 in the last 5 years. It was hit by a truck and dead on the side of the road. I'm sure there are more, but I don't know where. One of the guys I turkey hunt with has shot them in the central part of the state. He's even recruited my help to hunt them on his leases. Plenty of sign, but I've never seen a live hog there either. I have seen them on the western side of the state (Roger Mills county) in the Black Kettle National Grasslands. You might be able to put together a turkey/hog combo, but I'm not sure about the regs/legality of hog hunting in the grasslands during turkey season.
SE., in the Arklatex, chock full

FIRE_TX

FNG
Oklahoma has tons of hogs but Texas has the most liberal take on them. In Texas, no license required on private land with permission and any method of take including thermals at night.
I believe Oklahoma has relaxed some of their hunting regs on hogs but not positive on that, as compared to a few years ago.
You might want to check on the regulations. I had an expired hunting permit on private land with permission and was still issued a ticket from TPWD for hunting without a permit. That’s was 3-4 years ago. He even took the hog. I didn’t think I needed a permit.

FIRE_TX

FNG
You might want to check on the regulations. I had an expired hunting permit on private land with permission and was still issued a ticket from TPWD for hunting without a permit. That’s was 3-4 years ago. He even took the hog. I didn’t think I needed a permit.

Looks like the law was changed in 2019! I was just a bit before my time.