How far to move areas?

Ldriver

FNG
When you are hunting an area and there's no fresh sign/no elk seen or heard and the decision to move areas is made how far do you go? This something that I have been struggling with, do you go over a couple of drainages if possible or maybe the other side of a unit or pull out completely and hit a totally new area if that's possible (OTC tags)? Appreciate any insight anyone may have.

For me I hunt the same area every year since 16. I find that they're usually not that far away. If you can find a few good spots in an area I just make a check list. Plan a b c. Hunt plan A in the am then check plan b which maybe just a mile away.

As far as giving up on an entire mountain range... Man that'd be tough. If there's elk they gotta be in there. Unless you're using a Corey Jacobson stradegy of only wanting to challenge bugle.

When you are hunting an area and there's no fresh sign/no elk seen or heard and the decision to move areas is made how far do you go? This something that I have been struggling with, do you go over a couple of drainages if possible or maybe the other side of a unit or pull out completely and hit a totally new area if that's possible (OTC tags)? Appreciate any insight anyone may have.

My outfitter has moved me clean across a game management unit, on several hunts, to try and find a really big bull elk or buck deer. It's a hassle to move and no guarantees it's going to be better on the other side, but sometimes you have to go balls-to-the-wall.

Wapiti1

WKR
Depends on why I think they aren't where they are supposed to be. If you don't know why, you are just throwing darts at the map unless you know the country and elk from experience.

Wolves? I'll go a mile or more and try again in an area that looks like it mates up with the empty drainage from an escape route perspective. Wolves will shut them up, and run them out.

Lack of food? I'll figure out why, and make a call on where good food is. That might be a ways off, or it might be a little lower or higher.

Hunter pressure? Take the next morning to drive the roads and figure out where the hunters are. Then hunt in between or where they are not. That might be a hike, or it might be "fly over" country everyone drives by. I've shot a fair number of elk within a short walk from a road in country that just doesn't look elky.

Rarely, it is lack of water, but it could be. That one is the easiest. No water here? Where is the next water to check.

Why is a very important part of finding elk. As TradLife406 state, the elk don't disappear from an entire unit. If you are confident your first spot should have been good, make a good guess why they aren't there, and find that thing that is missing.

Jeremy

rambo2345

WKR
You try close by drainages first. If no luck in finding fresh sign then move further away.

If I don’t see fresh sign in pre-determined area based on e-scouting I move on to next pre-determined area. I have multiple spots picke out in same general area. The key is moving quick until you find sign or see/hear elk. Have multiple locations to check in multiple areas. Pre-plan the party.

I learned early on don’t bounce units. It’s giant waste of time that should be spent hunting not driving.

There will be elk there, maybe the next drainage over, maybe the next mountain over, but they are there.

If I'm there, i will hunt it thoroughly. We've all heard the addage, "just one more ridge". But when it's time to go, it's time to go. Plan B could be the other end of the unit, or 5 miles away.