How far to sight in 6.5 creedmoor rifle?

Recently picked up my first 6.5 creedmoor rifle. Planning to sight it in and wondering what distance you guys typically sight in at for this round. Usually I’d just do 100yrds but some people recommend 200yrds. I’ll be hunting in Idaho where shot distance could vary widely depending on where we are at. Thoughts?

Edit: Meant to post this in the firearms thread, but can’t figure out how to move it or delete it and repost.

Last edited:
Welcome. I have a 200 yard zero on my creed. That keeps my in pretty good alignment out to 300 Without dialing.

you should think about a few questions first:

- how far are you comfortable taking a shot with your rifle. For me, I would say 300-400 depending on conditions. I have recently gotten access to a 600 yard range but wouldn’t take a poke at an animal beyond 400.

- do you want to dial or hold over.

once you get a sense of the above, you really need to work out you dope on your gun with your hunting ammo. It takes some patience and a good long range but it is worth it. Do it right and you will know your holds and dial ins for any distance you care to shoot.

Zero at 100. Takes shooter error AND environmentals out of the zero for the most part and will better allow for a true zero in my opinion. Also easy to confirm zero as can usually find a place to shoot 100 yards but not always the case at 200.

ChrisAU

WKR
Zero in at 100, then dial the correct MIL/MOA to get a zero at 200 if you’d like.

This. The shorter the zero the easier it is to replicate regardless of environmental factors. IE, travel and likely keep your zero. Then you adjust your dialing for the environmental factors based on where you are and the weather.

JGRaider

WKR
Zero at 100. Takes shooter error AND environmentals out of the zero for the most part and will better allow for a true zero in my opinion. Also easy to confirm zero as can usually find a place to shoot 100 yards but not always the case at 200.

Like button.

OP
jimmiepoison
Thanks guys. I’ll probably just stick with the 100yrd zero for the reasons mentioned. Seems like the only downside would be a slightly higher hold over for longer shots.

Are you familiar with “maximum point blank range “? Not knowing any particulars about your specific situation I can’t really give you a great suggestions. I typically zero my rifle scope at 100 yards as it’s repeatable and eliminates a lot of variables. I set my turrets to zero, and then dial up to a far zero that keeps my bullet path no more than 3.5” higher or lower than point of aim. Depending on atmospheric conditions and what cartridge I’m using I can be minute of deer from 0 to 330 yards, and about 12” low at 400 yards. If longer shots are required I can dial up the correct number of clicks for the shot. You’ll need to know your velocity and ballistic coefficient, but once you do that you can enter that information into a ballistic calculator and try it out.

There was a thread with significant discussion on this. I've not seen an argument that logically beats zeroing at 100 and offsetting zero above your point of aim if using a dead on hold / MPBR method.

Basically, zero at 100 and adjust your point of aim to point of impact offset in the manner that best suits your situation.

Last edited:

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you are twisting knobs, zero for mpbr always.

If you are using knobs, or bdc type reticle then it depends greatly on your equipment, area, and your abilities.