How far will a release launch?

Well...... I was checking something out today in the empty yard beside the house just shooting a bare shaft into a target right in front of me and I suppose I got a little careless.

Last arrow I was gonna shoot I either hit the trigger as I was pulling back or the release slipped out of my hand.......

Arrow bounced off the empty house behind the target and I'm assuming my release is in about a 5ft thick section of tall weeds in front of that old houses fence.
Didn't have much light left so I'll be getting the weed eater out tomorrow to look for it.

Has anyone ever done this and if so about how far will a release fly?

Nothing derailed and the cams look ok. Gonna have the shop check it out tomorrow but boy did that startle me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I would think with your release being behind the string it probably didn't go the same direction as the arrow. It would have collided with the string as the arrow was released and probably pitched to the side one way or another. Just a thought.

OP
H
I would think with your release being behind the string it probably didn't go the same direction as the arrow. It would have collided with the string as the arrow was released and probably pitched to the side one way or another. Just a thought.
Kinda what I was hoping for but didn't see it close by. I'll have more light to look tomorrow though

qacwac

FNG
Just did this a couple days ago. My two finger hinge slipped and sailed or if my hand. It must have hit my rest because it is broken now and vetted of to the left.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

OP
H
Just did this a couple days ago. My two finger hinge slipped and sailed or if my hand. It must have hit my rest because it is broken now and vetted of to the left.

How far away was it from where you were shooting?

qacwac

FNG
Approximately 20 yards. Fortunately I saw or is never have found it as it went in some bushed under a tree. I was not quite at full draw though. And like I said, it must have hit the rest hard enough to break it so that absorbed a lot of the energy.

OR Archer

WKR
Had a customer launch his all the way down our 40 yard range the other day. So they can go pretty far lol

mrgreen

WKR
I did the same a while back. I've had a lot of time to mentally replay the incident. Finally decided it must have slipped out of my hand, if I just hit the button mid-draw I'm pretty sure the release would have stayed in my hand.

Anyway, it went pretty straight downrange about 10-12 yards, that arrow was gone for good.

Oh, and I don't think I'd use a lawn mower. Anything I ever found while using one was chopped up pretty good.

Wellsdw

WKR
I had a strap/glove failure one time, release went about one foot straight back chipping my front teeth. That said Anyone remember those tru-fire glove releases? Miss
That thing

I will admit that once my wrist buckled drawing back my bow. No idea how it happened. Didn't hurt, at least my wrist. But a bow can go a good 25-30 feet behind you after it encounters your body.

Had a full imprint of a bow in my side. Bruise looked pretty cool.

I've been there. My release slipped from my hand, release hit my buss cable, the back riser bar on my hoyt and hit my top knuckle. It took a nice chip out of the riser and put a pretty bad nick in my cable, and bruised the hell out of my hand. Even after that the release hit a tree limb about 15' high and landed about 15 yards in front of me. Thankfully Carter was really good about repairing the release, the guy I dealt with told me they see it quite often.

TravisIN

WKR
Mine hit and busted my carbon riser and then still went about 20’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H
Well I haven't seen anything yet. Didn't think it would have gone any wider than this?

I was standing on the concrete and the target was right at the grass line. Arrow landed at the wall of the house.

Gonna rake through this crap and see if I missed it.
ce42dc0e222c958d50052a04201ee2cc.jpg

Last edited:
OP
H
FOUND IT!!!!

So I cut alllll those weeds and this is where it was lol. Walked right by it several times the last few days when it wasn't sunny and didn't notice it
cb2130fb0a635e3057e7366ac32655b9.jpg

OP
H
So how far did it go?
If you look in the previous pic you can get an idea. Maybe 15ft angled left.

I was standing on the clear slab in the first pic and it landed on the far corner of the slab with the wheelbarrow that you can see in both pics.

Glad you found it.

When I started shooting with a hinge it slipped out of my hand while drawing a couple of times (maybe 4-5) and took out a rest and a bow with it. The next rest now has permanent indentations too, but it never went far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk