How far will a release launch?

Wheels

WKR
Put a big chip in my tooth and derailed my bow a few years ago. I have a rope on my release now. Oh, and I never found that release after what it did to me..

Ears

FNG
I watched a guy launch one in Redding, and it actually hit his son standing next to him. It would've went fairly far I think, as it hit him pretty hard. This guy was an absolute dandy and was free entertainment the entire 3 days of the shoot.

FlyGuy

WKR
I swear this thread is cursed! I’ve never even HEARD of this happening before reading this thread 2 days ago. I remember thinking, “how the hell do you let go of your release while drawing?”.

Well, let me tell you...

After the gym this morning I had a little extra time so I decided to shoot a few broad heads to see if they were grouping with tips. I’m shooting Valkyrie’s, and I had coated the heads pretty good with the white grease he sells for rust protection during the off season. After threading on three heads, I remember thinking I should probably get a towel and wipe that residual grease film off my fingers, just b/c it felt kinda gross. I didn’t. Toughed it out. Elected to just wipe my fingers on my sweat soaked shorts instead.

It happened About the 5th arrow. I’m still confused on what went wrong and don’t fully understand what happened, but about 3” from my anchor point something happened. There was a loud noise, things were flying in 3 different directions, and someone was screaming like a girl. Could have been me.

My guess is the grease lubed things just a hair. With all that tension, if my release slipped even a 1/4” in my hands, the force of it moving would immediately overpower the grip in the last digits of my fingertips. Which it did. Violently.

Was not the way I wanted to start the day! But I was unharmed, no shrapnel to the goodies or chipped teeth. Bow seems to be ok, but will need to see a Dr. soon.

I was able to locate the release about 15 yards away, missing two key parts though. It’s already in the mail to Stan for repair. I’ll get the bow to the shop tomorrow...

7f0b02ab162b43f847de62ea17b3ac2b.jpg
c4350f3e0a9fef2a8f9b9fb1faf7488e.jpg

You can’t cheat the mountain