How far will logging activity push elk?

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
How did opening day go? I completely understand that frustration/ discouragement. A few years ago, I drew a good late buck tag and when opening day rolled around, everywhere that I scouted in the summer was in the middle of a prescribed burn.

I ran into quite a few people scouting/sighting in rifles (really annoying for bow hunters in an area that’s already highly pressured) for the rifle hunt starting Friday, didn’t run into any other bowhunters. Unit I was in only had 30 late bull archery tags.
No elk the first two days, got to full draw on a tall forked spike that was meandering with 6 cows paralleling them through the woods, but when I stopped them there was a scrub oak right in my shooting lane. A second later they were gone.
Last bull I saw...
Was gonna move into the junipers to be able to glass and stalk, but auxiliary fan and tranny cooler mount both broke on my Jeep and the idea of getting stranded that far in wasn’t appealing, so tag soup is on the menu.

I hear ya on the fires, same thing happen to me for the OTC early hunt, but I shifted gears and got my first archery harvest on a nice velvet Coues on the verde rim.

I ran into quite a few people scouting/sighting in rifles (really annoying for bow hunters in an area that’s already highly pressured) for the rifle hunt starting Friday, didn’t run into any other bowhunters. Unit I was in only had 30 late bull archery tags.
No elk the first two days, got to full draw on a tall forked spike that was meandering with 6 cows paralleling them through the woods, but when I stopped them there was a scrub oak right in my shooting lane. A second later they were gone.
Last bull I saw...
Was gonna move into the junipers to be able to glass and stalk, but auxiliary fan and tranny cooler mount both broke on my Jeep and the idea of getting stranded that far in wasn’t appealing, so tag soup is on the menu.

I hear ya on the fires, same thing happen to me for the OTC early hunt, but I shifted gears and got my first archery harvest on a nice velvet Coues on the verde rim.
Sounds like a rough go. Late season elk with archery equipment is tough.

Gila

WKR
How did opening day go? I completely understand that frustration/ discouragement. A few years ago, I drew a good late buck tag and when opening day rolled around, everywhere that I scouted in the summer was in the middle of a prescribed burn.
You can ask the FS where and when the PSBs are going to occur. Elk, mule deer, pronghorn all don't like human activity period. They are equipped with legs that can carry them a great distance away from a disturbance and they can move miles in a few minutes. I have seen pronghorn eating FF in a McDonalds parking lot. Elk chomping on a front lawn in the suburbs. Hunting them in their evironment is a different story. Target shooting or sighting in on the NFs around here is not allowed. Most BLM lands are open for sighting in.

Mechanicals can really ruin things. I was way out there once when the side by started missing and coughing. Made it back but then later found a frayed coil wire. Sounds like a tough hunt. Late season rifle is difficult the way it is as the elk have been pushed way back by then. I would try and find the roadless areas that are holding elk. Onx "roadless areas" layer shows up as a purplish pink. Hike in or take a boat, plane. Bottom line is where people don't go is where you need to go.

Last edited: