How Far Will They Go?

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
This is my first year hunting mountain goat and I am already impressed with their habitat and ability to live there. I have a nanny tag in CO and have been putting in quite a bit of scouting. My question is how far will the nanny/kid groups travel through out the summer. I have a first season tag opening 9/8 so curious as to what habits may change in the next 5 weeks. Ever since the kids have dropped I haven't seen these groups move very far at all. Main reason I ask now is that I found me one heck of a good nanny in my opinion and want to keep tabs on her before season. Any experience and advice is welcomed. PS the goats in this unit are less than spooky when it comes to humans so I'm not afraid of hikers pushing them around.

Attachments

• 20200802_081035.jpg
    20200802_081035.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 42
In my experience they won’t move far for the first season. If you find where they bed at night, very good chance they will be there until opening day.

I have seen when the later seasons hit, and their summer cliff bedding areas are in the shade all day, they will change bedding areas. Normally that early season you can count on them being close.