How fast does meat cool down?

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
BornBowHunter, welcome aboard and thank you for your compliment. Internal thermodynamics with meat on the bone verses de-boned or flayed open to the bone will fluctuate based a few key factors:

density of meat (thermal mass)
ambient storage temperature (24 hour average)
wind speed
humidity
meat surface conditions (i.e., whether inside a game bag, open to air, or covered in a tarp or hide)

Tests I've done have led me to trust its okay to leave leg bones intact UNTIL internal temperatures dictate otherwise (60F). That temperature reading should be post-harvest 24 hours or longer since internal temps are falling steadily during this phase AND bacteria present on the surface (if any) are unstable. After 24 hours bacteria stabilize and bone / fat rancidity (autolysis) is only a threat with sustained core temps above 59F.

Can you flay a thick hind quarter to cool it faster? Yes. The thinner the meat mass/density the faster that meat cools the first 24 hours with the above factors in consideration. But the more meat surface exposure the greater the surface area trimming and spoilage threat during storage.

Hope that answers your question.

P.S. edit: Keep in mind that after 48 hours (homeostasis) the internal temperature of the thickest hind quarter and the thinnest tenderloin are often within 2 degrees the same and matched to within a couple degrees of the average 24-hour storage temps (if conditions are controlled to maximize cooling trends).

Last edited:
Definitely makes sense.

In the past i have used a probe, maybe 3/4" in thickness, with ported holes. My intent was to allow heat and air flow in/out if inserted along the bone of the QTr or into a deboned meat bag while still keeping surface area exposure small.

I havent really tested how well it works, now i may as its aligned with your findings.

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
Hey y'all, thanks for adding some value to this discussion.

I usually document temperature readings a few times each day in the field, then get hyper focused on temperature readings once the harvest is down. This has given me some extremely helpful data to share regarding meat care and managing game meat storage-temperature expectations.

Instead of verbalizing every point, i scanned six data sheets from 2007 to present day which details temperature and time from the time of death (moose/caribou) to exit from the field. Might want to download and save the files for future use.

The jest of what the data reveal is that game meat begins its post death journey from roughly 101 degrees F (normal core body temperature for ungulates) to a range of "mean daily temperature" very predictably between 36 and 48 hours post dismemberment.

You'll notice a wide range of temperatures on these hunts...some conditions provide low constant temps and some offer wide fluxes in day/night temp ranges. Take a look at this info and maybe fire off some points of interest to discuss?

Larry

View attachment 80180
View attachment 80199

View attachment 80181
View attachment 80200

View attachment 80182
View attachment 80201
Very Interesting! Thanks for sharing, I was just talking about this with my dad, and we were questioning hanging a deer over night with the hide on. Looks like it takes ~24 hours to get the temp down.