how fast is too fast?

sk1

WKR
tis the season for great deals on last years models and i took advantage of it. i bought me a "used" 2012 hoyt vector turbo with about 150 shots on it, and it shows.......thing looks like it was just taken out of the box brand new, previous owner liked his old bow better so just hung it up for 6 months until i snagged her up. it all began by me realizing i didn't feel like my rampage xt was deserving of a new bow string even though it needs one..

anyways, ive never had a bow this fast. my current setup is a hoyt rampage xt 74lbs, 30 inch draw, 430 grain arrow shooting @ 292ft per second.

so how fast is too fast? this new turbo ATA is 20ft per second faster than my rampage xt......when arrows reach a certain speed do they become harder to tune? just debating if i want to shoot a little heavier arrow or not, or maybe change from 100gr broadheads to 125gr. i havent shot it yet, maybe my current setup will shoot great, just curious if people have a hard time tuning broadheads consistently once a certain arrow speed and above is reached or not.

OR Archer

WKR
Personally I don't think a fast bow is hard to tune if you are a good shooter. If your form is crap it can be a little more difficult. As far as getting broadheads to fly I think that depends more on the broadhead/arrow combo. There are a lot of junk broadheads out there that just wont tune for $#*t no matter what bow they are shot out of. Quality arrows with quality broadheads that spin true can be tuned out of fast bows pretty easily.

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
I have aDarton DS-3800 that is shooting 307 with a 420 grain arrow at 66lbs. I found to get to fly decently that i had to Refletch my arrows with a 4 inch helical vanes. Also went to slicktrick standards. Wacem broad heads also flew very well, but i think the 4 inch fletching had alot more to do with it than the broadheads.

J-Daddy

WKR
I've had bows of my own shooting in the 340-350fps range "not listed IBO, that's what they were actually shooting"...If you know how to tune a bow and you have good shooting form a speed bow isn't a big deal....The one thing that can cause headaches with a super fast rig is large fixed blade broadheads "or just flat out junk broadheads, Muzzy I'm looking at you"...With a mechanical or a good flying fixed blade "Shuttle T-Lock, Wac Em, Slick Trick" it's not an issue.

SDHNTR

WKR
Too fast is if it takes you using light arrows to get there. Light arrows lose too much energy upon striking something hard and dense. It makes me laugh when guys brag about their 320fps rig, but they are shooting 365gr toys for arrows. I'd much rather have the momentum of a heavier arrow, and a quieter bow, even at the expense of a little speed. I like as much weight as I can keep in the 280-285 fps range. That is still plenty fast IMO, and it gives me a quieter, deader feeling bow that is easier to tune. My arrows hit like a truck and pass through. Actually, of the last few dozen animals, I cannot remember one that didn't pass through.

J-Daddy

WKR
I'm a fan of heavy arrows for hunting...I had a PSE Omen Pro clocking in around 350fps I shot for 3-D a couple years ago shooting a 360gr arrow...Now I will say this, I like heavy arrows for hunting BUT I can promise you I could have sent that light 360gr arrow through anything walking in the United States....The energy that arrow made was freaking crazy at those high speeds. 3-D targets had a hell of time holding that arrow if they were a little shot up.

imho there is no such thing as too fast. those who say any different might be a little jealous of the speed others are getting. when my "speed bow" is in tune and i am in tune it makes for a deadly combination with a 390 gr arrow. i'd bump my weight up a bit if i were hunting game bigger than elk.

jmez

WKR
No such thing as too fast and heavy arrows are better. Push the heaviest arrow you can as fast as you can and get the best of both worlds.

It always turns into the classic argument of KE vs momentum. KE velocity is squared in the equation so small jumps in speed increase your numbers quite a bit. Momentum is a linear relationship so it is far easier and better to increase arrow weight than speed to gain in momentum. IMO momentum is the more important number/value for archery equipment.

you will be fine with your set up. Your arow is heavy enough for NA big game. Heavier can be better, but if you are shooing well with these, and you get the added bonus of being a bit faster, then why buy all new broadheads and arrows? Save yourself a couple hundred to spend on your wife to get more hunting time.

That said, a faster, more aggressive cam may require a stiffer arrow to tune properly. In this case, getting a heavier broadhead would be a BAD BAD idea as it would make your arrow have even less effective spine. You would want to go with a stiffer spine and see what weight heads you need.

Essentially, shoot what you have and if it wont tune, then worry about changing. Don't change just to slow down the arrow.

Joe

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
That said, a faster, more aggressive cam may require a stiffer arrow to tune properly. In this case, getting a heavier broadhead would be a BAD BAD idea as it would make your arrow have even less effective spine. You would want to go with a stiffer spine and see what weight heads you need.

Essentially, shoot what you have and if it wont tune, then worry about changing. Don't change just to slow down the arrow.

Joe

yeah im looking into my current arrow setup making sure it's adequate. shooting 340 beman ics hunter elites.....nothing fancy. i plan on shooting them to see how it goes but am looking into new arrows, it's about time for some anyways. i was eyeballing the 300 or 340 beman ics hunter pro series

vcb

WKR
you will be fine with your set up. Your arow is heavy enough for NA big game. Heavier can be better, but if you are shooing well with these, and you get the added bonus of being a bit faster, then why buy all new broadheads and arrows? Save yourself a couple hundred to spend on your wife to get more hunting time.

Joe
I think the most important thing to remember is the part about your wife and more hunting time!! Very True!! LOL!