How heavy is too heavy?

Happened upon a slightly modded/upgraded Rem 700 Long Range .300 WM. Good price, downside is it’s 13lbs. Too heavy for backcountry?

manitou1

WKR
IMO yes, too heavy for back country. I had a 13 lb rifle just for stand hunting, walking no more than 1-1.5 miles in, mostly 1/2 mile hikes each way. I did NOT enjoy that rifle, and I am a pretty big guy... 6'3", 210 lbs. It was a tack driver, but unnecessarily burdensome. Sold it. For myself, I find the happy spot in the 8-9 lb range, loaded and with optics. Not too heavy but not so light accuracy becomes a challenge.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Its a moving number, the older I get the lower the number gets.

If you are going to put on the miles every day it's too heavy. If you are going into a place to set up and glass for a few days, it's fine.

Nope, nope, nope. At least I wouldn’t use it. Doesnt matter if its a tack driver if youre too tired to shoot it from carrying it.

I'd say that's too heavy for backcountry. I've hunted with rifles ranging between 7lbs and 20lbs (AIAT I used for treestand hunting was a behemoth). I personally wouldn't want to haul around anything over 10lbs.

HuntnPack

WKR
A rifle over 9# is too heavy for me.
For Backcountry I prefer 7.5-8.5# Rifle all up.
Recently moving to Shorter Barrel & mid weight optics keeping weight in the middle.
Makes for a pretty Manageable stable setup,

Last edited:
My 280ai is 10.5 scoped and loaded with a bipod. That’s about where I would draw the line. After I shot my buck at a whopping 90 yards this year I wished I had brought my sub 6 lb Kimber instead...

wyosam

WKR
I would leave the backup rifle in the truck. That is the weight of two, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only you can decide if the rifle is too heavy. What is light to one person may be heavy to another.

I personally will not take a heavy (to me) rifle on any hunt that I will ever do. 8 pounds all in (minus the bipod) is my sweet spot no matter the terrain.

Jpterry

FNG
If you will be hiking hard and expect offhand or shots without a solid rest...a super lightweight rig can really bounce around on you when your huffing hard. I have rifles that are sub 7lb scoped and hard to hold steady freehand. Agree on 8.5lb all up is about perfect.

The only back country experience I have is in Kodiak. My heaviest rig was just shy of 9 pounds all-up. I was in the prime of my life then, and that's all I wanted to deal with. Going from that to a rig just over 7.5 seemed to make a big difference in my comfort.

elkguide

WKR
For hiking and hike in hunting, my magic number is 8 pounds all set up.
When hunting from a stand/fixed blind I'm not very concerned with weight.

woods89

WKR
I packed an almost 10 lb rifle quite a few miles in northern CO last November. I plan to do it again this year.

13 might be a little heavier than I would choose, though.

4ester

WKR
I’ve packed a 13# rifle around as my primary weapon for a couple years. Killed plenty of animals with it.

Have since put together something lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk