How heavy is your pack?

I will be going on 9 day mule deer backcountry hunt this year and My pack is coming in at 55lbs, including 2 liters of water, weapon system and plenty of food. I am buying lots of new light weight gear, like a feathered friend down bag at 1.5lbs and Argali game bags only 9 oz. Pinching every oz I can.

I'm planning to be at 70 lbs., solo 12-14-day sheep hunt (including water and rifle).

akbrett

FNG
Not to hi-Jack this thread, but how easy is it to find water up there. I tend to consume /sweat alot with minimal activity
depends where and how your hunting.
my pack tends to be around the 60lb mark with 10days of food and rifle included

10-12 days I have been 80ish pounds with rifle. Trying hard to get under 40 for 7 days this year. Well see.
The last time I weighed my pack I was just under 70 lbs for an 8 day solo hunt, including everything but the clothes on my back. It gets expensive obsessing over pack weight. I found it alot cheaper to lose 15 pounds off my weight than 5 pounds off my pack.
I'll be sheep hunting this fall, the first time in a long time, and am going through the gear I have, what to take, what to leave, what I need to buy, etc. Pure joy in anticipation of a great hunt.

How much weight do you realistically expect to carry going in? I'm looking at about 8-10 miles to set up camp.

This is an extremely subjective question due to unique physique, strength, etc, but I'm curious.

I hope I'm not asking something that has ready been hammered to oblivion here, but I'm new to the forum and technologically challenged. 🙂
The last time that I weighed my pack I was just under 70lbs for an 8 day solo hunt, that’s including everything but the clothes on my back. Obsessing over pack weight gets expensive, I found it much cheaper to drop 15 pounds off of me than 5 pounds off my pack.

Jimbob

WKR
Pack/gear - 28.8 lbs
Rifle/bino harness - 10.4 lbs
Water (32 oz)/food (10 days) - 20 lbs

So my pack weighs 50 lbs then I have my bino harness and rifle that adds another 10. This sets me up for a 10-day solo sheep hunt in august.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the hunt I’m planning for usually has a 5-ish (could be a little less or a little more) mile hike into a base camp; we’ll hunt out of the base camp with the chance of bivying for a night

looks like I’ll be in the 60-ish lb range to base camp (all in with rifle/food/water) where I’ll leave my tent/sleeping bag/pad/most of the food and some clothing

out from there with a bare bones bivy setup (bivy, light quilt, tarp, short pad) and one days food/water, should be about 35-ish lbs

I’m having a debate with myself on not doubling up on a few items as I’ll be with a guide, have always hunted solo so having a tough time committing to leaving bits behind :D

Last edited:

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
Having packed in with horses all my life and Ill be backpacking in this year for the first time, I have some serious working out to do.

AKaDougie

FNG
There is a big difference in where, when, who, how. But staying with what you have stated.
Going in solo would add about 5 more pounds to my pack vs splitting gear with a partner.

Basic break down would be:
Pack and gear - 35 solo
Bino harness - 3.6
Weapon - 6.6
Water (3 liter bladder) - 6.6
Food - I plan for 2 pounds per day (normally less) I try to stay 3200+ Calories (about 110 grams protein) a day

So a six day solo maybe about 63 pounds and with a partner would be 57 pounds. This is if I do not know the area and plan for worst.
11 pounds of that is just Glassing gear. I will always bring the better 85mm spotter.

I pack train with 60 pound sandbag throughout the year.

Every ounce matters. I'd say the greatest gains you'll make in shedding weight off anyone's pack list is your food kit.

Science colleagues and I have spent the last three years identifying the caloric requirements of hunters in Alaska to help us truly understand caloric deficiency as it relates to skeletal muscle preservation.

The jest of how these field studies have helped me as an expedition hunter is by revealing the facts about minimalistic field nutrition.

We learned it's actually metabolically positive to operate in a 50% caloric deficit as long as you consume 1gm protein/kg/day but the threshold for muscle loss could be closer to 0.7gm protein/kg/day. I shoot for .8gm protein/kg/day and have preserved skeletal muscle on these studies.

This way you'll lose weight but preserve skeletal muscle. Our data suggests float hunters and sheep hunters burn around 4000-4300 cals per day on moderately difficult scales. If we aim for 50% of the expected caloric demand our target is around 2000 cals per day with insurance of at least 0.8gm protein/kg/day (190 lb hunter = 86 kg = 80gm protein intake/day). Of I need 90 gm protein/day I add a large handful of cashews or almonds (320 cals/10gm protein) This is bare bones strategy but will help you create a lightweight science-based food kit for any weight restricted hunt.

lb

P.S. Here's some food science for thought if you haven't read this yet:
Very good stuff Larry.
Last couple hunts i have run 125-128 calorie/ounce and feed myself around 160g protein and 150g fat/ day.
This was around 1.5lbs food per day at 3000 calories.
Went in 164 came out 156 10 day.
Went in 162 came out 156 9 day.
Lose a bit of weight but feel strong and ready to go coming back to the truck heavy packs.

I really like fat and protein on long hunts.
I'm really contemplating going around 2200 calories to drop more pack weight...but ive tried the low food thing and i just suck at hunting when im tired and hungry!

To OP: 10 day all up with light rifle 54lbs.
9 day all up with 9lb rifle but easier hunt was 56lbs.
Both partner hunts.

Bambistew

WKR
Usually around 55, with rifle and 2l of water. Split tent and spotter/tripod with partner. Usually only take one rifle, sometimes leave a spare at the strip. Sometimes bring it. If I go solo, I'm about 3lbs heavier.

When the wife goes, she's usually around 35-38, and i'm still at around 55.

10 day hunts.

Usually around 55, with rifle and 2l of water. Split tent and spotter/tripod with partner. Usually only take one rifle, sometimes leave a spare at the strip. Sometimes bring it. If I go solo, I'm about 3lbs heavier.

When the wife goes, she's usually around 35-38, and i'm still at around 55.

10 day hunts.

What are you typically using for a shelter Bambi, both solo and with 2 people?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bambistew

WKR
What are you typically using for a shelter Bambi, both solo and with 2 people?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a BA copper spur 3 for 2 man hunts. weighs about 4.5lbs. Its 10yrs old now, going to get the newer UL version that's like 3.5lbs. For a solo i use mountain hardwear Supermega UL, its 2.5lbs +/-. Sweet little tent, basically the Fly Creek clone.

I have a BA copper spur 3 for 2 man hunts. weighs about 4.5lbs. Its 10yrs old now, going to get the newer UL version that's like 3.5lbs. For a solo i use mountain hardwear Supermega UL, its 2.5lbs +/-. Sweet little tent, basically the Fly Creek clone.

Have you ever had any issues with the Supermega in heavy winds? I ask because I had a Fly Creek 2 tent completely fail on me on Kodiak one night with very strong, consistent winds. Nothing structurally happened to the tent, but I spent the whole night with it flattened against me and I expected it to blow apart at any given moment, but fortunately it didn't. I had it pitched with the foot into the wind, but that made no difference.

Bambistew

WKR
Have you ever had any issues with the Supermega in heavy winds? I ask because I had a Fly Creek 2 tent completely fail on me on Kodiak one night with very strong, consistent winds. Nothing structurally happened to the tent, but I spent the whole night with it flattened against me and I expected it to blow apart at any given moment, but fortunately it didn't. I had it pitched with the foot into the wind, but that made no difference.
I have a video somewhere in some pretty serious winds inside the tent. It was gusting over 40, easy. Probably the worst winds I've camped in. It didn't flatten it, but it pushed it in pretty good. Have also had some terrible wind storms in the BA and it came out fine.

I'm not sure I'd take it to Kodiak though. That place seems to eat tents for breakfast...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Every ounce matters. I'd say the greatest gains you'll make in shedding weight off anyone's pack list is your food kit.

Science colleagues and I have spent the last three years identifying the caloric requirements of hunters in Alaska to help us truly understand caloric deficiency as it relates to skeletal muscle preservation.

The jest of how these field studies have helped me as an expedition hunter is by revealing the facts about minimalistic field nutrition.

We learned it's actually metabolically positive to operate in a 50% caloric deficit as long as you consume 1gm protein/kg/day but the threshold for muscle loss could be closer to 0.7gm protein/kg/day. I shoot for .8gm protein/kg/day and have preserved skeletal muscle on these studies.

This way you'll lose weight but preserve skeletal muscle. Our data suggests float hunters and sheep hunters burn around 4000-4300 cals per day on moderately difficult scales. If we aim for 50% of the expected caloric demand our target is around 2000 cals per day with insurance of at least 0.8gm protein/kg/day (190 lb hunter = 86 kg = 80gm protein intake/day). Of I need 90 gm protein/day I add a large handful of cashews or almonds (320 cals/10gm protein) This is bare bones strategy but will help you create a lightweight science-based food kit for any weight restricted hunt.

lb

P.S. Here's some food science for thought if you haven't read this yet:

Interesting stuff! Thanks for posting. I looked at my food lists as I was curious on calories and grams protein. (I'm 5'11" 180 lbs)

My daily intake (backpacking) is ~3000 calories and ~100 grams of protein, well within the guidelines you posted

my typical day is:
breakfast with granola, dried fruit, instant whole milk; instant coffee with powdered butter and powdered coconut oil 600 cals 15 grams of protein
snacks Kind bars x 4 650 cals 16 grams of protein
lunch salami/cheese in a pita pocket 370 cals 21 grams of protein; 1.5 ounce Fritos 300 cals 4 grams of protein
supper Peak Refuel meal ~ 900 cals, 40 grams of protein; Snickers bar 215 cals 3 grams of protein