How heavy is your tripod?

Datslab

FNG
Any thoughts on the Slik pro 824 CF with svh 501 head vs a Sirui t-0024 with a va-5 head?

Admittedly I have no experience with tripods and am looking for the best stability I can get under $300. Mainly willl be sitting while glassing running binos off of it eventually want to add a nice spotter and the possibility of the occasional shot with a sub 9lb rifle.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I have the 024- it's a very nice tripod, plenty stable for what you're considering. If you're only going to be sitting, you can remove the lowest set go legs to shave a few ounces off.

I have a VA-5 head, but find myself running a ballhead most of the time for weight savings.

I have a Surui T-025X at 28 ounces with the ball head. It is light, and works for the Kowa 554 spotting scope I use, which is small and light. However, I want to add an RRS Ascend for shooting off of and as a midweight tripod for my wife's photography (she has an FLM that I think is 4.3 pounds without a head) and is heavier than I am willing to pack for hunting.
Not considering the Tripod what tripod heads have you tried? Pro's & Con's?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Not considering the Tripod what tripod heads have you tried? Pro's & Con's?
Not many, and all are ball heads. The Surui head that came with the T-025X is nice for a small head, it is 8 ounces I believe. The larger FLM heads are nice (wife has a CB-43), but heavy. I got light weight FLM head, it was about 2 ounces. While it locked down well enough to hold the Kowa, it was not smooth and with that much weight had a very small window were it could move but was not floppy.

Vanguard ball heads suck.

Not many, and all are ball heads. The Surui head that came with the T-025X is nice for a small head, it is 8 ounces I believe. The larger FLM heads are nice (wife has a CB-43), but heavy. I got light weight FLM head, it was about 2 ounces. While it locked down well enough to hold the Kowa, it was not smooth and with that much weight had a very small window were it could move but was not floppy.

Vanguard ball heads suck.
Thanks I appreciate the info. Im trying to decide what head to buy? i just bought a Surui t1205X tripod for my 15 X 56 Bino's and spotting scope. So many choices???

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
I use a innorel kt254c and a Sparten davros, less than 2 lbs without the center extension. Works great for binos and compact spotters. Can shoot prone, sitting and kneeling.

eamyrick

WKR
Manfrotto BeFree Aluminum with Outdoorsman’s Pan Head and Bino Adapter 3lbs 9.4oz. I’m 6’3 and can spread feet out and glass standing. I compared the set up to more expensive options and found that it was the best value/durability/weight combo I could put together.

FBD98FE3-75C7-4885-B923-C165F0DD259F.jpeg

Mojave

WKR
7.5 pounds with a either a Sarui ARCA Swiss locker ball mount on it or the Pig Saddle directly mounted.

Mine is an original Manfrotto camera tripod I bought in 2001 in Tang's Department Store in Singapore. I need to upgrade to carbon fiber, but it doesn't bother me that much.