How high would you look for elk in late October with no snow?

Poser

WKR
No general answer, but they can be as high as treeline elevation even with snow. Out bear hunting last weekend, I saw a surprising amount of elk sign at a relatively low elevation of 7,000 feet and it was hot as shit and very dry.

I would look as high as your area offers, I picked up a trailcam a couple years ago in late october when there was a foot of snow on the ground and found elk at 10,500.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of factors, in alot of places I've hunted, the hunting pressure was a bigger factor than others. If you're bull hunting, that time of year I find them in the nastiest, secluded hideouts they can find, recovering from the rut and sticking to cover unless bumped. I've seen them live in the same little hole for a long time, as long as they have feed and water. Where i hunt, the cows and young bulls come down first, the big bulls can live in some deep snow if they want to. I would start looking as high as there is water. If there is lots of pressure up high, glass the thick pockets down low and the unlikely spots. good luck

Calbuck

WKR
I would get where you can see a ton of country from low to high and get the glass to work. You cover some serious ground doing that and save yourself some boot leather by letting your eyes do the work. They'll show up if you look long enough.

I've seen them at 11k plus and down in the flattest of flats without a tree for miles during that time frame, the bulls will generally be in a place they think is secluded enough that they wont be bothered with cows and calves easier to find.

Wrench

WKR
As high as there's chow, as far as there's sanctuary and as long as it takes.

Laramie

WKR
If I'm looking to fill a meat tag (non big bull) in late October, I hunt the staging areas for migration. That can be very different depending on the area and how far the elk travel to winter grounds.

OP
S

ScottATU

FNG
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be in the Pagosa Springs area. I have a couple of different places to stay due to family and friends in the area so I'll be covering a lot of ground. Going to hunt second and maybe third season if I have to. I only have about 40 spots marked to check out....lol

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be in the Pagosa Springs area. I have a couple of different places to stay due to family and friends in the area so I'll be covering a lot of ground. Going to hunt second and maybe third season if I have to. I only have about 40 spots marked to check out....lol
Should be a lot of fun, anywhere with decent shelter water and feed should hold elk! Post rut bulls don't like pressure the best elk sign i've found are closed roads!

In my experience elevation doesn't matter as much as terrain and temperature. Look in places where the temps are cooler (most likely higher places), but more than that look for good elk terrain. I use the high points for glassing and rarely find elk at the highest elevation. So, I'd start at 10k' or the highest peaks I could get to and see where the elk are...that'll tell you the elevations to work.

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
In Utah we find elk as high as they can go usually. There are always some scattered down the trails, but during this last storm (8” snow to a foot) they were right at 10500. Happy as a bunch of mountain goats.

Contrast that to Idaho and the area I hunt there. Max height is 9k there and usually closer to 8k. Elk are all over there.

My high country hunts tend to find the best concentrations in the most remote canyons and bowls. Up away from people hunting and backpacking. Not sure if that helps or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider

Honestly, find where the people are going and look somewhere else, I've found them close to the roads when people are way back in and vice versa. All the vehicles are at one trailhead? Go find a stretch where there are no vehicles and hunt there.

I'm curious though, how would you be able to hunt 2nd and 3rd season?

OP
S

ScottATU

FNG
Honestly, find where the people are going and look somewhere else, I've found them close to the roads when people are way back in and vice versa. All the vehicles are at one trailhead? Go find a stretch where there are no vehicles and hunt there.

I'm curious though, how would you be able to hunt 2nd and 3rd season?

I definitely plan to get away from people. Or try to anyway... The tags are over the counter for these units in Colorado, so if I really wanted/needed to I would hunt an extra season. I've been saving for this trip for a few years, and I've always had things interfere. This year nothing is going to interfere with me going, might not get an elk, but I'm dang sure trying to!!

OP
S

ScottATU

FNG
In my experience elevation doesn't matter as much as terrain and temperature. Look in places where the temps are cooler (most likely higher places), but more than that look for good elk terrain. I use the high points for glassing and rarely find elk at the highest elevation. So, I'd start at 10k' or the highest peaks I could get to and see where the elk are...that'll tell you the elevations to work.

Ok, this is basically the plan. Get away from people, get high, and glass. I know a lot of people are picky, but I won't be. First legal bull I see will be getting shot if I have any say lol

OP
S

ScottATU

FNG
In Utah we find elk as high as they can go usually. There are always some scattered down the trails, but during this last storm (8” snow to a foot) they were right at 10500. Happy as a bunch of mountain goats.

Contrast that to Idaho and the area I hunt there. Max height is 9k there and usually closer to 8k. Elk are all over there.

My high country hunts tend to find the best concentrations in the most remote canyons and bowls. Up away from people hunting and backpacking. Not sure if that helps or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah this makes sense. This echos what most people have told me: post rut elk like to stay in those nasty places most people don't want to go.