How hot would you go? (Hammer 131's)

If you have a load you know is showing some pressure signs, but it's shooting itty bitty groups at great velocities, will you roll with it?

I worked up some Hammer 131's for my 7mm-08 that are shooting 1/2" at 2985 fps. over 45 grains of Varget. Hodgdon says 43.5 grains for 130's is max with Varget, but that's for conventional cup-and-core Sierra bullets. I've read that it's not uncommon for Hammers to show less pressure at higher loads.

The primers aren't flat, but they are starting to flatten compared to the lighter loads, and I can tell the bolt lift is a hair more difficult.

In the photos below, the row on the left is with 44 grains of Varget. On the right is 45 grains of Varget.

I have shot this load in 100 degree TX heat several times now. It was 80 degrees when I shot these today. I'm expecting temps between 10 and 60 degrees when I'm hunting this fall/winter.

Have you ever found a load that was "right there at the edge" and run with it? Are these even on the edge? Hard for me to tell with these Hammer bullets. They don't behave like anything I've loaded for before.

IMG_5542.JPGIMG_5543.JPG

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
I'd call that a relatively safe max. Like you said, primers aren't flat, yet. The one thing to watch for is if warmer weather pushes the load outside a node, which is why I don't like to run on the edge of a node, I try to keep it in the middle. It sounds like you might be on the bottom end though, which means cooler weather might put you outside the node, and hunting is usually done in cooler weather. Just a few things to consider

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I'd call that a relatively safe max. Like you said, primers aren't flat, yet. The one thing to watch for is if warmer weather pushes the load outside a node, which is why I don't like to run on the edge of a node, I try to keep it in the middle. It sounds like you might be on the bottom end though, which means cooler weather might put you outside the node, and hunting is usually done in cooler weather. Just a few things to consider

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the help!

Yea, I'll be out after the first few "real" cold fronts arrive, testing and testing and testing. I like to have at least three range trips that agree before I really feel confident in a load. I've seen good loads go bad from one session to the next. That's frustrating. And I'll test them again at altitude on day 1 or 2 of scouting.

When I worked this load up, it was 100 deg. and 44 to 44.5 was about a 1" jump on paper, but then the 44.5's were right there with the 45's, so I am hoping I'm closer to the middle of a node at 45. That's actually why I settled on 45 and not 44.5.

2985 with these 131's is creeping into .270 Win territory. That's impressive for a 7mm-08 with a 20" barrel.

Last edited:

Jonoton

FNG
I load 143gr Hammer Hunters in my 7mmWSM.
Also here in Texas, I did the work-up to 3350 fps with similar primer flattening as your pics in 105 degree heat, and confirmed <1" groups at 5200 ft in freezing rain before my hunt.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I load 143gr Hammer Hunters in my 7mmWSM.
Also here in Texas, I did the work-up to 3350 fps with similar primer flattening as your pics in 105 degree heat, and confirmed <1" groups at 5200 ft in freezing rain before my hunt.
Thanks. Ain't it a treat to do load workups in 100 degree heat? LOL (NOT!)

I keep threatening to add a barrel chiller to my range bag. One of these days, I'll do it. Then I can send 100 degree air down that barrel and really cool it off. :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

Sobrbiker

WKR
I’d go 44.7 and call it a day.
Those primers look fine to me-I go more (as far as primers go) by cratering than flattening.
You’ve got zero ejector flow which is my primary sign of being too hot.

wseidel

WKR
I have a Sako Finnlight 7mm-08 that I handload 131 HH. I ended up at 44.7 grains of Varget, CCI 250 primers, and approximately 2900 fps (also 20 inch barrel). No pressure signs up to 45.0 but you're a better shot than I am. I'm typically right around an inch. I've found that lighter guns are more of a challenge. Hope this helps.

Northpark

WKR
I shoot 199 hammers over 80grs of H1000 in my .300 win mag.My final load looks like this as well. No ejector marks but maybe if I really look hard some slight primer flattening. They are going 3060fps at the muzzle. Talking to Steve at hammer bullets it’s not uncommon for hammers to push right to book max for that weight class for best accuracy.