How important is a softshell

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
I've never used a true soft shell. Like others, if find them heavy for the amount of warmth they provide. I do have a Kuiu Peloton 240, which I wouldn't consider a true soft shell, but I much prefer the Kutana hybrid. 40 grams of active insulation in chest and shoulders, fleece in the back area. It's nearly as light as fleece, warmer and more wind resistant than the 240, and it's cut snug and stretchy enough to easily go under a puffy. I'd like it even better if the collar were a couple inches taller.
How would you compare the sizing between the 240 and Hybrid? The Hybrid was my first KUIU top purchase and I feel as if I bought the wrong size. My L 240 fits absolutely amazing but have an XL Hybrid

j33

WKR
How would you compare the sizing between the 240 and Hybrid? The Hybrid was my first KUIU top purchase and I feel as if I bought the wrong size. My L 240 fits absolutely amazing but have an XL Hybrid

I’ve owned an XL non hooded and XXL hooded on 240, I actually found them pretty close in sizing.
I’ve owned an XXL Kutana Hybrid and the arms are tighter and seems like more room on belly/chest.

stevewes2004

Lil-Rokslider
I personally love soft shell items for still hunting.

One of my favorite combos for treestand hunting is Sitka Jetstream jacket and First Lite North Branch bibs.

I could see where they wouldn’t be effective for active hunts though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
The Sitka Stratus jacket was pretty useful for me as a whitetail hunter toward the end of last season. Hiked a couple of miles in temps around 15 and a thick snow on the ground with the Stratus over my baselayer. Not by any means waterproof, but repelled snow that either was blowing off in the wind or dropping off branches as I moved through thicker cover. Was kind of nice having a blaze orange jacket instead of screwing with the dainty Orange Aglow vest too. Once I got stopped, I put on a puffy jacket under the Stratus and was stationary for a few hours without becoming too uncomfortable.

For colder day hunts with wind and without sustained rain, I like this particular jacket as a fairly versatile layer. That's especially true when orange is required. It's not going to get you below about 40 without an insulating layer if you plan on being stationary. For a longer trip though, I agree with others that the weight probably means it doesn't make the cut. I'd really like to see Sitka stop putting the gimicky crap on their clothes (like a grunt tube holder on the shoulder of this jacket), and would really like to see KUIU put out a blaze orange Peloton 240 hoodie.