How important is camo vs earth tones?

I still wear it only because I already own it. Anything I have bought in the last few years is solid. Most of it in solids I can wear year round just for regular clothing. When it costs as much as it does, seems ridiculous to me to sit in a storage tub for 10 months a year.

OP
G

Gulfgoose

FNG
So the pack is going to be covered in blaze orange but you are worried about an earth toned pack giving you up???
When around a bunch of yahoos with guns hiking yes. Not when in full hunting mode.

mwebs

WKR
Has no one been stared down by an elk, while being barked at, only to have them walk back to the herd confused and un-busted then continuing to hunt the herd? That happened to me and a hunting partner and I guarantee in that scenario if we had solid colors on it would not have ended the same as we were caught somewhat in the open. I suppose this is much more important for archery hunters, but I do think there is some validity to camo although it is completely out of hand at this point.

JWP58

WKR
I can't take credit but there was a perfect answer to this question on AT a few months ago. Pick your camo pattern based on what you think looks best in the hero shot. That is the only place it makes a difference.

So what's your choice? Certainly not kuiu, right?

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Has no one been stared down by an elk, while being barked at, only to have them walk back to the herd confused and un-busted then continuing to hunt the herd? That happened to me and a hunting partner and I guarantee in that scenario if we had solid colors on it would not have ended the same as we were caught somewhat in the open.

I have had that happen with deer and elk, both with and without camo. It wasn't the camo that saved you. There is a thread on this in the mule deer section called Spot and Stalk Camo Patterns. It's debated to death. I don't believe camo makes a difference, it's more scent and movement. But others adamantly disagree... especially those with lots invested in camo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When it comes to packs it doesn't matter too much during rifle season from camo or not. I would just get what you are into and call it good.

Last edited:

ElkNut1

WKR
Movement on the hunters part is ones enemy when being stared down by elk, your camo wouldn't have saved you if you had moved at all.

Yes, I've been in similar situations many times, camo choice gets little credit! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

BluMtn

WKR
The only reason I wear camo is so other hunters can't see me. I am not worried about the animals. I have been sitting next to a tree and had hunters walk 50' by me and never even know I am there.

mwebs

WKR
I agree movement is the biggest factor, but if you were to tell me 9/10 camo doesn't matter in those situations, I am buying for the 1/10 every time. Since the OP was talking about packs I would say it never matters, and solids are fine, but wouldn't want to run around in a tan pack during rifle season for obvious reasons. Personally I think Kuiu and First Light look best in the hero shots haha!

I agree, it means little to no difference to the elk! Dress warm & according to the temps during your hunt, many times I've worn all heavier wool top to bottom, just depends.

Here's a couple photos of my Son's & I on rifle hunts a few years back!

ElkNut/Paul
This has to be photoshopped everyone knows you can’t kill animals wearing blue jeans. They see blue.

Sled

WKR
I wear camo for archery and sometimes for rifle when i need to get close or have a need for tech gear that breathes well and can be warm at the same time. i'd wear my ski clothes if i thought the uv brighteners wouldn't get me busted.

my typical rifle hunt wear is a pair of carhartts and a flannel shirt.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just get a ranger green Exo and run a blaze orange lid on it. Easy to find all the time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hwy5076

FNG
I also try to avoid tan only because of other hunters! The elk won't care one bit what color your pack is.

a5sooner

FNG
One thing I try to practice is never looking animals directly in the eyes or near their head are for that matter. They can pick up on the glint of our eyes even if everything else is completely still.

Jeepers87

FNG
I have camo only in a few outer shells for pants and jackets...mostly for turkey hunting that I can throw over other items. I’m more worried about being warm, dry, and comfortable. Than this years pattern of choice. To each their own though .