How important is camo vs earth tones?

ggambill

FNG
I agree with the majority here. i have some camo top layers that are basically mesh for turkey season. i dont gun hunt i only bow hunt and i choose dark earth tones. all my warm gear is puffy and blan. could care less about the camo of the year.

RedFox67

FNG
Look at Stone Glacier packs. I haven't had my pack for very long, but from the 15 days of camping/ hiking with it, I highly recommend it. It's super versatile and it comes in solid earth tones that work for camping and hunting. If you really set on breaking up your figure to game, you could buy different color components for your pack.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
I have said this on another thread. I was a sucker for the Sitka line when it came out. The marketing really sold me. The way these high end pieces being light and functional is really what sold me. The science behind Ungulate Vision and how Elk & Deer see is quite compelling. Rifle probably not, but I have seen for myself the idea of Deer & Elk "seeing nothing" does have some merits when bow hunting. Wind and movement trumps camo and or earth tones every time. The one thing I find funny is these guys that wear their camo only a couple days a year. Like I said before, you should see the looks I get on Sunday from my preacher with me in my merino baselayer and Kelvin Lite Puffy all topped off with my JetStream Jacket and Timberline Pants. :cool:

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I don’t believe camo makes any difference. Back
when I rifle hunted, I encountered numerous elk in multiple situations while wearing blaze orange. Some as close as five yards. One time I counted 97 elk ( not a single unicorn/spike in the bunch!) walk out of dark timber and scatter around me in an open area feeding. I stayed motionless on one knee while they slowly fed around me as close as 20 yds. Wind was good and eventually they just moved on.
Find clothes that fit and function well for your style of hunting and you’ll be good to go.

Broadhead

FNG
At the end of the day, buy what you like. You have to live with it for the next XX years. There has been more animals harvested in solid colors than camo. With that said, I do believe camo can only help you out in the field; as long as the pattern somewhat matches your surroundings.

I personally run a camo backpack, camo upper-half and a solid bottom-half. One of the main reasons is that I utilize my clothes for personal use outside of hunting season.

I think it’s part of the fun to research all the new gear, the new technology, sift through it and make a choice on what is worth it. I bow hunt for turkey and deer, lots of close encounters and I’m still figuring out scent control, wind, being still. I wear pieces of camo in my daily life and when antis make a comment I use it as an opportunity to educate them :)

smacha538

Lil-Rokslider
At the end of the day, buy what you like. You have to live with it for the next XX years. There has been more animals harvested in solid colors than camo. With that said, I do believe camo can only help you out in the field; as long as the pattern somewhat matches your surroundings.

I personally run a camo backpack, camo upper-half and a solid bottom-half. One of the main reasons is that I utilize my clothes for personal use outside of hunting season.

Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
You have to wear full camo, especially Kuiu Verde or Sitka Optifade, otherwise you might as way stay home.

Pay special attention to camouflage socks, boots and under wear. Often over looked but they are especially important.

You know someone's gonna give you their unwarranted opinion when they start a conversation randomly with you by saying, "You know...you don't really need camo...". Yeah I don't need shoes either, but they help.

I think the real issues come down to how well it's going to breath and how well it's going to hold up to the mountain. Coincidentally, it's mostly hunters that care/demand for those characteristics and it so happens to come in camo.

Granted, backpacking gear has similar characteristics, but side by side they cost the same, if not more, than hunting gear and usually come in obnoxiously bright colors sure to make you the rising sun of the mountain.

TLDR: make sure it breathes well, it's durable, it's not cotton, and you're good.

My .0015 cents, adjusted for inflation.