How is Cabela's Still in Business?

We have several Scheels stores in Iowa, and I have shifted 99% of my outdoor shopping to them or online. The only exception is Black Friday sales when BP/Cabelas runs some good deals once every few years.

Scheels is a fantastic company, and I get free overnight shipping from them since they have several locations in the midwest.

The farm stores are starting to offer some good products and decent deals in Iowa too. Bomgaars, Theisen's, and Fleet Farm especially have great selection in my area. I stopped at 401 Outfitters in Great Falls, MT, and they had a huge selection and very friendly employees.

How are they still in business? I bet they're having record profits with all the new covid hunters

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Their website is a complete dumpster fire.

I snagged a Cajun fish frier there a few months ago. Like a lot of stuff, they were in short supply everywhere. I havent written them off yet. If we ever get a Scheels here, they may be done.

I have ordered a number of things from Scheels and been very happy with them. I ordered 2 ruff land kennels from them and they shipped them for free. I know that wasn't cheap.

Last edited:

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
I have over $400 in points with Cabela's, I have a hard time finding any of their crap to spend it on. A sportsman's warehouse opened 2 years ago nearby and was great, now asspro bought them and it already shows. 8+ hours to Scheels now.

I liked Cabela's much better before their retail stores sprang up. Back when I would wear their hats and folks asked, "What's a Cabela's?"

Still go in, still purchase on rare occasion. Prefer Scheel's.

Shraggs

WKR
I was a huge fan of Cabela's for many years. When they first opened up in Ft. Worth, I'd drive out there and spend a couple hours inside shopping and browsing the big game trophies. They used to have some great sales, too. And the Cabela's brand actually stood for quality. All of that changed when BP bought them. I hate to sound like some bitter old man, but the store is a shell of its former self.

I actually still have about $600 in gift cards that I have wanted to use for the last few years, but I just don't find what I want there anymore. The final straw was last fall when I went in to return a Cabela's brand set of shooting sticks. It was the 2nd set that had the yoke broke due to cheap metal holding it in place. I decided to get them replaced via the Cabela's Lifetime Warranty. I was told by the cashier and multiple managers that Cabela's no longer honored its lifetime warranty since the BP acquisition even on purchases made when the warranty existed! Absolutely ridiculous. I just need to find something to buy there and burn my gift cards and be done with them altogether.
The chocolate malt balls are good….

only thing with buying

hodgeman

WKR
They don't own a bank. The Cabela's Club card is issued by Capital One Bank. And they used to have another long term finance partnership with AgriCredit, but I don't know if that still exists anymore.

They did own a bank until quite recently. It seems the World's Foremost Bank was sold to Synovus who in turn sold the credit card division to Capitol One as part of the Bass Pro merger.

However you slice it, the credit arm of Cabela's was (and is) a more important part of their operation than retail sales.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta...buys-cabela-s-banking-assets-revitalizes.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta...buys-cabela-s-banking-assets-revitalizes.html

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Maybe there will be a way to use Cabela's credit at Sportsmans Warehouse in the near future. I do not believe that there is a way currently. Might be able to grab some good items before Cabela's makes it shit the bed.

jlh42581

WKR
I have over $400 in points with Cabela's, I have a hard time finding any of their crap to spend it on. A sportsman's warehouse opened 2 years ago nearby and was great, now asspro bought them and it already shows. 8+ hours to Scheels now.

Blackstone or a Trager would do it real fast

archp625

WKR
My wife is amazed that when we now go to the KC Legends area to shop and asks if I want dropped off at Cabelas the answer is no. They have nothing I can’t find cheaper anywhere else. And price matching is a joke.
Same, Now we can bypass it and go do Scheels in OP.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
My wife & I used to take a monthly road trip to the Cabelas in Prairie du Chien (about an hour north of us). I used to buy a lot of reloading components from them. Like many others, I shifted most of my purchases to the Scheels in Coralville (about an hour south of us). The prices are much better, I get gift cards in the mail from the Scheels card purchases and they actually occasionally have some things in stock!

They are easy.

You can walk in and buy guns clothes boots all of it, it’s just easy.

I’ve been a club member a long time too, and the good times were right before and after the bass pro deal. Remember the days of 20$ off 150 coupons on every receipt? They used to price match competitors on guns then let me put them on layaway and make 150 dollar payments, getting int 20$ off each time. It was too good to be true, but it was.

I probably went 2 years without a purchase but now I’ve figured out it’s a good place to buy MAP items that are the same price everywhere. Wait till a 10% Tuesday comes up, and hope it lands on a 10% activejunky day. That’s where it’s still viable for people who will shop for deals. A good example is one day this year the stars aligned and they had swaro el range for 2198, 10% day, 12% activejunky cash back, and 0% interest for 12 months. I’ve never seen anything that would touch that.

And yes they did have their own bank/credit card. We got transitioned to capitol one after the buyout. Shame too.

Iceman82

FNG
Cabelas customer service is horrible, I quit shopping there a few years back.
I believe Scheels is similar to Cabelas 25 years ago.