How is your hunting rig set up ?

Opah

WKR
1996 Chevy ZR2, 4.3 V6 Standard cab, short bed 200 hp
short wheel base gets me in and over to where I want to go. Rifles are always at the ready on the roll bar mounts and a third can use the turret on the rear hitch when necessary.
The top rack has been removed, to mount some serious LED lighting, top center will be a 360 remote controlled spotlight goes up / down and 360 degrees around, 4 more smaller LEDs on top and on in the front Bumper. Should turn the darkest night into day.
Front and Back Ball hitch to mount my remote controlled winch, never have had to use it except to clear rocks and trees from the path.
ooops can;t forget my big screen 7 disc CD/DVD Player with the Bluetooth for my phone and devices
1607896360196.png
1607896450706.png
1607896493198.png

1607896585480.png
1607900199121.png

Attachments

• InkedMy truck rear view_LI.jpg
    InkedMy truck rear view_LI.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Squamch

WKR
92 4runner.
8274 with a contactor instead of solenoids, upgraded motor. Tucked way back into the grill, rad spaced back 1" to make room.
1/8" steel front skid
Lock right rear diff
Trailgear sliders
Home built DOM tube front and rear bumpers
Chinese light bar
Rear link suspension cut off, 2nd gen pickup leafs swapped in, no swaybar
No front swaybar, balljoint spacers, torsion bars relaxed to bring it back to stock height, lots of droop, 1.5" wheel spacers
31" tires
Bunch of tools and recovery gear in the back.

Attachments

• 20191226_125644.jpg
    20191226_125644.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 94
1996 Chevy ZR2, 4.3 V6 Standard cab, short bed 200 hp
short wheel base gets me in and over to where I want to go. Rifles are always at the ready on the roll bar mounts and a third can use the turret on the rear hitch when necessary.
The top rack has been removed, to mount some serious LED lighting, top center will be a 360 remote controlled spotlight goes up / down and 360 degrees around, 4 more smaller LEDs on top and on in the front Bumper. Should turn the darkest night into day.
Front and Back Ball hitch to mount my remote controlled winch, never have had to use it except to clear rocks and trees from the path.
ooops can;t forget my big screen 7 disc CD/DVD Player with the Bluetooth for my phone and devices
Can't imagine carrying a rifle around like that in these parts. Instant cop magnet. Or would get lifted.

That said, that's a cool rig!

92 4runner.
8274 with a contactor instead of solenoids, upgraded motor. Tucked way back into the grill, rad spaced back 1" to make room.
1/8" steel front skid
Lock right rear diff
Trailgear sliders
Home built DOM tube front and rear bumpers
Chinese light bar
Rear link suspension cut off, 2nd gen pickup leafs swapped in, no swaybar
No front swaybar, balljoint spacers, torsion bars relaxed to bring it back to stock height, lots of droop, 1.5" wheel spacers
31" tires
Bunch of tools and recovery gear in the back.
That 8274 install is over the top!

Squamch

WKR
That 8274 install is over the top!

I've done a few like that. With good solid mounts (oops, forgot to mention the through bolted tcase and motor mounts), you can bring the rad back 1.5", which allows the winch to really get tucked in there. You don't get a hood latch, but hood pins are more race car anyway!

packer58

WKR
To each his own......BUT.......no way would one of my rifles ride like that in a whirlwind of dust.

OP
O

Opah

WKR
The turret was made for sighting in my rifle if needed, I have several small box canyons I can get back into the provide mt a 200 hundred yards and this worked way better than hauling a table,and bench rest, and it's there in case of a red dawn also.
The rifle mounts are for to and from the pull out for where we hike back to Hunt, I have been a base camp hunter most of my Hunting career. with the Standard cab, there is not much room for a rifle or two, Hauled Cases around for a while then came up with the roll bar mounts, clips can be loaded as long as no rounds are chambered. Fast and easy to get to if a opportunity presents it's self to or from hunting. The mounts also hold our bows in the same fashion.

OP
O

Opah

WKR
"To each his own......BUT.......no way would one of my rifles ride like that in a whirlwind of dust."

Good Call ouT, that is why I have elastic waterproof nylon covers for them in travel.
The picture just wouldn't look as good with them cover up
Besides if I were driving down the road throwing up roster tails and torants of dust I wouldn't be hunting now would I ?
I'm in 4x4 low granny creeping in quite as i can, as far back as I can, Basic rock crawling Hunting Mode

Didn't see a picture of your Rig Packer58, Baja Toyota?
nice rig Squamch !

Last edited:
OP
O

Opah

WKR
"Looks like a sweet road hunting rig."
Been There, Done That
I hunt from Camp back to Camp, as I said opportunities sometimes present themselves Not when or where you expect them.
Thank you for the compliment, ordered it from the Factory, My wife had Dick Cepek custom Fabricate the roll bar for it the day after I got it. She has been out to some of the areas I Hunting in a 2 wheel drive and was not going to let me out there without a roll bar in this truck.

Squamch

WKR
"Looks like a sweet road hunting rig."
Been There, Done That
I hunt from Camp back to Camp, as I said opportunities sometimes present themselves Not when or where you expect them.
Thank you for the compliment, ordered it from the Factory, My wife had Dick Cepek custom Fabricate the roll bar for it the day after I got it. She has been out to some of the areas I Hunting in a 2 wheel drive and was not going to let me out there without a roll bar in this truck.

Dick Cepek died in 1983, so you may have been slightly mislead🤔.
If I was you, I wouldn't count on that to protect you in a rollover, that style of bar, mounted to thin sheet metal, is rarely made of anything with enough strength to offer support, and the bends at the height of the bedsides create an additional failure point. Marketing those as "rollbars" is irresponsible of the companies offering them, on par with calling a padded baseball cap a helmet.

packer58

WKR
I wasn't bashing your rig at all, just commenting on how dirty they must get as shown in the pic. Hell, growing up in Lassen county, Ca. in the 70's we would bow hunt out of a pick-up with a couch mounted across the bed........now that was a road hunters dream machine...

OP
O

Opah

WKR
It was a Dick Cepek Off road center back in 96, the feet are U bolted around the frame and the pipe is pretty thick and it is doubled piped, not single.
Thank you for the info, I hope I never have to disprove or prove the construction.

Marble

WKR
My hunting rig is set up for cargo, travel and sleeping. Anywhere I've wanted to go ive gone. Interior gear changes throughout the year and my truck is bone sick with a camper shell. It's a 2017 F350 lariat long bed.

It is super comfortable. Gets good mileage for a big truck and the radio is really good.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

tuffcity

WKR
6ibRltU.jpg

Ridiculous MPG! :D

.... sorry, couldn't resist.