How late do you stay out, early do you get up.

blb078

WKR
Since this fall will be my first DIY western hunt, I'm curious what everyone does in terms of how early they get up and how late they stay out and head back to camp. When I whitetail hunt, I'm in my stand 30 mins before daylight and I come out when I can't see my pin or through my scope anymore. Should I take the same approach when out west? Or should I head back to camp just before dark so I'm not wandering around at night spooking everything?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I like to be where I want to be glassing before legal shooting times, and glass until after legal shooting times. Of course, I only shoot during legal shooting hours.

There are some rare occasions where I leave so I can traverse particularly sketchy country in the light though.

R

red

All Depends on where and what I am hunting, but for the most part I am in my hunting area an hour before sunrise. If it is really hot out during the day, we will head back to camp at noon for a bite to eat and some R&R and head back out at 2pm until dark.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in my stand 30 mins before daylight and I come out when I can't see my pin or through my scope anymore.

There is your recipe.

That is why David Long wrote so much in his book about camping close to hunting areas, it makes you super efficient and you don't have to traverse nasty terrain in the dark. His methods of backpacking allow him to do this for mule deer and everyone knows the results he's getting!

• Banned
OP
B

blb078

WKR
thx guys, so my next question is, how long do you glass an area or basin? Say for example the spot I want to get to is 1/2 mile from camp(and I have no idea if that is to far or to close). You get there before light, how long do you stay there before you move, assuming you're not seeing anything, couple hours, half day, all day, then try a diff area next day or go back to the same area?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes I spend all day in one spot. It can be terribly boring, but productive. Other times, I spend a couple of hours and peek over the ridge.

I agree with camping close, as Robby mentioned. I do remain flexible though, and will cross a rockfield, ribbon cliff, or other obstacle to check out another basin, before returning to my "campside" spot. Taking that risk has paid off over and over for myself and my hunting partners.

Slim Jim

WKR
I try to use the method that David Long describes in his book. I move around the higher end of a basin to different vantage points to try and pick something up in the glass. Sometimes cover will limit your view

Craig4791

WKR
I try to use the method that David Long describes in his book. I move around the higher end of a basin to different vantage points to try and pick something up in the glass. Sometimes cover will limit your view

^^^This

I like to stay at each spot for 2-3 hours. It's about all my attention span can take and allows me to get different views and scour the area with my glass real well.

Beastmode

WKR
It all depends on the terrain. There are some spots where I hunt that I make way more noise in the dark than the light. I don't like to use a head lamp unless absolutely necessary.

I don't have a set amount of time for glassing an area. Scouting helps out a bunch here. Knowing areas where deer are bedding, feeding and watering. I do move around every couple hours to get a different angles on spot. I have spent a whole day in one spot and I have also moved after an hour. It all depends how much cover there is and how long it takes to thoroughly glass an area.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Posts 6,7,8,9 are getting you about as close to a formula as you're going to get. Every place is different, but if ever in doubt, stay a little longer, even if that is a day.

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Who is David Long and does have books out that I could buy. Sounds like something I NEED to read.
Thanks

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Public Land Mulies: The Bottom Line is the title. Best book out there, with great glassing techniques.

How long i stay in a basin is determined by my scouting from the summer before. I dont like hunting an area i havent scouted well.

Big bucks are much easier to find before the shadows start to show on the mountains. An hour before sunrise i like to be setting up the spotting scope.

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a dummy. Looked on my bookshelf and there it is Public Land Mulies. I've even read it just never paid attention to who wrote cause I was so intent on the information inside.

OP
B

blb078

WKR
When I go out this year I'l be going in blind, except for GE, and topo maps so pre scouting isn't an option. I "might" be able to get out July 4th weekend but being 12-13 hours away doesn't allow me to really just go out for a weekend like someone in state or within a few hours drive.

Beastmode

WKR
When I go out this year I'l be going in blind, except for GE, and topo maps so pre scouting isn't an option. I "might" be able to get out July 4th weekend but being 12-13 hours away doesn't allow me to really just go out for a weekend like someone in state or within a few hours drive.

If your going in to an area blind with no scouting I would recommend covering some ground the first day or two. Using GE and topos you should be able to find some spots that look promising. Then spend a few hours at each spot maybe more if animals are moving.

The tough part is that animals might only move around once during the day so if you leave one area the animals could be there but just not moving yet. I would recomend finding a ridge that you can look on oneside and then the other checking each periodically. Hopfully you can find where the animals are living in the first day or two and start planning some stalks.

OP
B

blb078

WKR
If your going in to an area blind with no scouting I would recommend covering some ground the first day or two. Using GE and topos you should be able to find some spots that look promising. Then spend a few hours at each spot maybe more if animals are moving.

The tough part is that animals might only move around once during the day so if you leave one area the animals could be there but just not moving yet. I would recomend finding a ridge that you can look on oneside and then the other checking each periodically. Hopfully you can find where the animals are living in the first day or two and start planning some stalks.

Thx for the tip, I should clarify my statement too, on my initial trip it will be my first time going in blind. As long as I get picked for my WY special general tag then I'll actually be making 3 total trips out. 1 in mid Sept for archery, then early Oct, and then late Oct, this is assuming the seasons are the same number of days as they were last year for the unit I'm looking at. If I don't get picked then I'll try MT combo tag which I'll be doing the same thing, 3 trips total to the same spot, unless I find a different area to hit up. Each trip will be 7 total days hunting.