How late it too late to totally change careers? Who's done it (w/o being $$-secure already)?

Loggerdude

Lil-Rokslider
Find something you you love to do and live within your means and never look back. I grew up with four brothers no dad mostly turned out great if we compare ourselves to others. Put your slippers way order the bed at night and get on your knees to get them out. Life’s to short to be burdened by debt and hating to go where you have to earn a living. Money can sometimes be the root of evil
Good Luck and go for it

cjoe7

FNG
Totally feel you!!! I'm 58 and have been self employed since 1996 in the IT Field.

Ultimately,I realized life balance is more important than chasing money - I didn't realize this until my mid 30s. Most people probably live beyond their means and are probably a few paychecks away from the edge. Your frugality will pay off in spades later. While driving Honda vehicles, we paid off 2 condos. We sold one and are mortgaging a large new house that will be paid off in 7yrs. We have zero debt and can literally purchase whatever we want in cash now. Financial restraint is good. Stay the course and don't worry about the Jones.

As others have said, this is an employees market now. If you make a lateral move, there is minimal risk. Employers need bodies and your PHD makes you an ideal candidate for many positions. If the fit is not optimal, try it again.

If you're motivated to start your own business, insure that you have enough customers and 1 year of expenses tucked away.

I think you are never too old to switch careers. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think financing cars and homes is a bad thing. I avoid financing toys unless it is 0% interest. I have two teenagers that are expensive with sports and what not. I work for the Feds, make good money, but will never be rich, my wife is a substitute teacher, mostly does it to get out of the house. I drive a $60k Cummins, financed at a relatively low interest rate. We have a nice home, financed at a low interest rate. I have a pension and fund 2 401ks through the gov.

After owning a few businesses out of college I realized that Business owners have more stress and work more hours than any employee. Sold my businesses. Then I was a financial advisor prior to my gov job. I realized very quickly that most people dont have comfortable retirements. That was important to me. I just turned 40, planning on retiring at 59 and will have a 6 figure retirement income not including the 2 401ks. I plan on paying my house off, but will probably always drive newer cars under warranty and financed at a credit union.

We live within our means and have money to do whatever we want for the most part, I do 3 out of state hunts every year, family vacation every summer etc.

Recently went through a job change, PhD as well. It felt like my field was small and not many jobs out there. I heard a tip that ended up working better than expected. Get on LinkedIn and hit that connect button on anyone even remotely involved in your field. Most will connect, some will not. When I got to around 1,000 connections I was getting job offers around once a week from recruiters. Still do. Maybe an opportunity to find a new role, and in my experience it's a great time to jump to a new company for a big bump in pay.

isu22andy

WKR
Hawkman - Im assuming your from Iowa ? Also from Iowa in the ag field - from what you describe you work in a Coop setting possibly ? Have you considered working for some of the seed companies ? Corteva Bayer Becks ect ? Seems they pay well and many have company vehicles.

Like others have said I would look at making a career change. I would create a linkdin account if you dont already have one. There are tons of jobs out there, and I found my current job on there. If you would like some help or tips on setting up an account feel free to message me and I can send help you. Like others have said I think you would be surprised at some employers are paying. There are openings for agronomists in my area that are well north of 6 figures.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
First of all, you have a family who you provide for, you are blessed. When I was 25 working for a large corporation I found out how much “Golden Boy Rick” made, 225k. I said so I can stick around here, bust my ass and if I am super lucky like Rick and my daddy doesnt retire I can make 225k… I quit and started my own company a couple months later. I worked 363 of the first 365 and made a negative paycheck. My wife was a teacher and we lived off her 35k, our weekly food budget was 35 dollars as we invested our life savings in the business, we had no kids. By the second year our business was rolling and by the third I sailed past “Golden Boy Rick”. The recession was tough, still made a lot more than corporate life, but had to do all the work myself. Three years stopped working day to day and travled 34k miles looking for a place to live out west. The business nose dived and two years into it we got it healthy again, and we are getting our west coast business humming, but for two years we made squat. Close to getting them producing a 7 figure income, but no guarantees. Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward and it is stressful as hell.

PS: I drive a 2015 pickup truck and we live in 2,000 sq foot home. You dont need things to be happy, I value freedom and my FAMILY the most. Have a merry Christmas, Dan

Man I’m a firm believer in what’s makes you happy is what you need To do. Just remember money isnt everything. Live comfortably but I know a lot of wealthy people that are always sad, stressed, over all not happy. Hell I feel like that’s me most days and it just makes people mad and not want to be your friend When you have everything everyone wants but your so stressed you can’t even enjoy it.

Like it has been said, it is an employee market right now. If you like what you do look for similar positions with other companies. If you want to stay in the area that you are in, figure out what other companies are paying for your position and go ask for a raise. If they don't want to work with you move onto another company. If they value you and figure out that you are looking to leave they will work towards what it will take to have you stay.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Started my “career” at 27. Went to work for IDNR doing regulatory work in the oil & gas production industry. Not even close to what I went to school for.
Called it quits after 37 years. I’d climbed as far as I could go without getting a law degree.
My wife and I saved, did without, built 2 log homes ourselves and now we are enjoying the fruits.
Was just thinking the other day, if I was going back to school right now, it’d be in health care. Our youngest will graduate in June. She’ll have a CRNA degree and already getting outrageous offers. One in Kentucky was 400k a year with a 200k sign on bonus. Not bad for a 32 year old girl from podunk Illinois.
I’m trying to steer her to Wyoming or Alaska!

Stuff1616

FNG
If it makes you happy then its never to late. Trust me I worked in a position for the last 6 years and was miserable. Made the change in June and will never look back. I say do it the negatives far out way the positives of being happy.

Buck197

WKR
I think it was a thread I saw on Rokslide about "what we do for a living/what funds the hunting" that made me think about posting this here. Not sure if this is complicated or if it's a common situation - probably more so than I realize.

I know we barely know each other - what is this, maybe my 2nd post but I thought I'd ask.
  • 50yo.
  • Ph.D. in Agronomy but have worked in the field and research a lot. Actually did the grad school on the side. Not an ivory tower guy. (Getting a Ph.D. is more a sign of perseverance than intelligence, imho).
  • Worked Saturdays and summers from 12yo to adulthood working my ass off in greenhouses, construction, and farming, etc.
  • Varied interests - I feel I could do anything, work in many fields.
  • Point is - not scared of working with my hands.

• Married with 4 kids. One grown, one in college, and two in middle school.
  • Wife is a teacher but makes little money at a small, rural Christian school.
  • I worked for the state for 19 years making poor money but wasn't aware of what was "out there".
  • Frugal but not much to show for it after 25 years.
  • Doubled my salary by going to the private industry and thought "I'm finally there".
  • ...but 19 years of struggle means you are behind.
  • Saving for a better house, one my wife could be proud of. (She's LOW maintenance but the tiny, old p.o.s. we gutted, remodeled, and have lived in with four kids isn't the one to expand with. We had 3 girls and a boy with only two bedrooms for the four of them. Hey she/we would like kids and their families to come visit someday!)

• I look around and see what other people are driving (new Tahoes, building homes, or barns/mancaves; vacations, etc) and I'm blown away.
  • What do these people DO for a living?
  • Sure, maybe some of them have inherited money or received help from parents, etc., but I don't just assume that nor critique anyone for that. I assume they have worked hard and earned it.
  • I work for a retailer of agronomic inputs (seed, fertilizer, chemical) but am not a salesman. Not a position in the company that is rewarded with incentives. (The age-old mentality is we sell stuff. The service side of the business is hard to understand even though service increases sales).
Yet, I know I'm blessed and wealthy compared to so many people. I also have the blessing of a wonderful family and good health and I'm thankful to God for that.

I'll cut to the chase. I feel I'm too chicken to go on my own and start a business (probably b/c I've had five mouths depending on me plus my own) Maybe I shouldn't feel that way.

Have any of you felt lost at this stage of your life, maybe filled with regret, and then made a change that yielded dividends, either financially, personal wellbeing, or family-wise, or all of the above? I may have come across as being a crybaby. I hope not. Just in a bit of a slump mentally.

hawkman.
I'm 51, and I have seen my railroad industry gutted by Wall Street and poor leadership. I think everyday if only I'd have changed careers, and what if. But I also think, I'm there, I'm just right around the corner from retirement. I can't give that up
Now that said, your an educated man, your options are probably in better shape than mine, although I have been very blessed.
I know we ALL want more, but look at yourself in the mirror and be damned proud of what you have achieved. You have fed and clothed your family, on an income that I am guessing hasn't kept up with the times(nor has mine..it got behind). Don't be afraid to take a chance, just be darned sure it's a very calculated chance cause we aren't getting any younger and also be damned sure you can live with potential consequences, and have an oh shit plan if it goes to crap. Much respect to you and your wife..a teacher, man is that a tough gig especially with these youths nowadays.

At 38 I left a good federal job to return to Montana for consistant elk licenses. Took a $10,000 cut in pay after 12 years. Sold my ranch at basement levels but bought a ranch at basement levels. i'm retired after 25 years and do consulting at more than I every made at steady work. Advise??

Stabilize your retirement. It's your future. Shop for something fun in a place you like that has reasonable risk and the wife likes. Shop carefully. Management is not prone to intelligent, sane people. See what fits you better and is available. Lot's of luck!!

huck

Lil-Rokslider
Dont know if this helps but I worked for the State for 20 yrs ,going to work one day had a stroke .The doc said better make some life changes or find a piece I like . Talked it over with my wife of 27 yrs ,shes way smarter than me, she already knew I was miserable at work and thought I should quit .SO made a change work for myself , my wife works with me pretty much every day. My mental and physical health is 100 times better ,so is home life . I work 10 times as hard for half the money but woudnt trade it for nuthin . The best part was that it helped develope our 6 teenage kids into smart independant thinkers . Each one now have their own bussines . I quit at 46 im now 53 , and my kids also spell way better than me.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Hey bud, don’t compare yourself and families to other. Right now, I’ve noticed more than ever in my life as a young man (23 years younger than you), that find a job that makes you happy and ask your network of friends what they see in you. Don’t be afraid to reach out for advice in your friend group and connect with similar people.

I’m 27, obtained my BS at 25 as I had one goal growing up-live within your means and earn it. I’ve never been in debt outside of having a truck loan for 6 months so I could build credit. No student loan debt that many millennials bitch about every day twice a day. No crying because I’m not making enough money. It’s called life and choose the career you want.

I’m in my hometown for a bit and seen 8 people that I grew up with. Only 2 don’t have debt (outside of a mortgage). Others I know have anywhere from 40-140k of debt driving new trucks have a camper trailer, utv, brand new hunting gear, utility trailers, kids etc. and make less than means I work 7 months a year at my regular job

Do what makes you happy, debt ain’t the answer and saving for your later years is.
Good advice there. What kind of job allows you to only work 7 months per year?

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
The beauty of changing jobs later in life is your experience and wisdom to assess jobs of interest, rather than going in partially blinded when younger. I changed careers about a year ago, was going to be medically pushed out of the military or I could retire. At 42 with 3 kids and a wife I was freaking out to say the least! If there is one good thing about COVID is it has opened up many job opportunities (at least here in Nebraska) which allows you to choose rather than just taking what you can get. I now travel around the state and about any town I am in has some sort of "now hiring, open interviews on every Friday, and many more.

If you aren't happy at work, then it's likely everything else in your life will pay the price! Good luck!!