How long before you leave do you give your body time to recover?

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I've been prepping for my mt goat hunt and working out pretty hard, playing hockey and tennis again. I've dropped 25# and feel better than I've felt since my mid twenties. In the past week my knees are starting to get tired and are a little uncomfortable all day. So my question to you experienced mtn hunters is: how many days should I give my body time to recover/ heal up before I leave?
We fly out on the 30th. I don't want to get there and my muscles be torn down still to where it effects my performance. BTW, being a flatlander prepping for a goat hunt sucks, I won't let myself get out of shape so I have to go through this next year.

OP
keep

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I try for a week of light work outs before I go. Too long is not good either.
That's probably a bigger concern of mine. I've been on the treadmill with 60# at 12% incline 2.5mph, maybe I just reduce the weight that last week.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I generally am hunting non-stop from August 8th-9th through September 20th and this year is no exception. Usually I have a day or two of travel and meat processing/taxi drop offs between hunts and thats about it. Granted I'm 28 so that probably helps in there too.

2rocky

WKR
look up "Tapering" on marathon training plans. I peak 2 weeks before the event. The next week two weeks is reduced mileage and intensity. You want your muscles to recover from the hard workouts. Your legs should be just itching to get out and GO when you hit the ground at the trailhead. Tone down the weight. Maybe just walk around the neighborhood. 2 miles instead of four, etc. do an all day pace instead of pushing yourself. Stretch more, roll or massage the parts that have been trouble spots. Focus on flexibility.
you aren't going to get any stronger or faster in 2 weeks, but you can lay yourself up with a pulled muscle. Pack your pack with the stuff you will be carrying. adjust it with your hunting clothes.

OP
keep

keep

Lil-Rokslider
look up "Tapering" on marathon training plans. I peak 2 weeks before the event. The next week two weeks is reduced mileage and intensity. You want your muscles to recover from the hard workouts. Your legs should be just itching to get out and GO when you hit the ground at the trailhead. Tone down the weight. Maybe just walk around the neighborhood. 2 miles instead of four, etc. do an all day pace instead of pushing yourself. Stretch more, roll or massage the parts that have been trouble spots. Focus on flexibility.
you aren't going to get any stronger or faster in 2 weeks, but you can lay yourself up with a pulled muscle. Pack your pack with the stuff you will be carrying. adjust it with your hunting clothes.

Thank you, this is what I was thinking and hoping others had the same routine

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
i usually only taper the last week before a race. one long slow run at the beginning of the week and taper to only a mile or 2 the day before.