How long does a bull keep his cows

Vandy321

WKR
Curious what's the latest you've seen a bull with cows. Can't find much in reading, other than post rut, but what are the factors that split up the bulls harem.

Assuming cows heading lower first with snow and the bulls splitting off to their sanctuary. Pressure could have something to do with it, assuming a bull has bred all his cows, if pressured he may leave the harem. Waht are so.e other factors and how late into Oct have you seen them together?

go_deep

WKR
Latest I've seen bulls pushing a herd around, bugling, and breeding was the last week in October in Wyoming.

Brianb3

WKR
Think big bulls hit it n quit it. I’m going with done by Oct 1. Smaller bulls much later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
It's kind of the opposite of the thread title. The cows are in charge. Even during the rut, the cows are in charge. If one or all like a different bull better, they go with him.

About mid Oct, the cows are done, and they leave for better feed. As with the start of the rut, the end is based on photoperiod. A bull may follow the cows if there is a young one that is off on her estrus cycle relative to the other cows, but that isn't typical. The estrus cycle of the cows sync's up so they all come in and out at the same time.

Smaller bulls often stick with the cow herds due to familiarity with the family unit rather than rut reasons.

Jeremy

Grant K

FNG
I've seen full-on rut fest the second week of November, usually, there's one obviously hot cow around to kick things off and every bull in a 5-mile area shows up...
As far as big bulls? usually they call it good with the herds as soon as rifle shots start going off.

prm

WKR
In general, it seems like mid-October is when the bulk of rutting activity drops off.

TheTone

WKR
Maybe the most bugles I’ve heard in a single day was the third week in October. Saw a pile of elk that day and could have shot numerous if legal but was restricted to spike only.