How long does a internal work transfer usually take?

Elite

WKR
Hey everyone, so my company is recently selling a area that I work in. They also own several different areas. I had a meeting with the boss about transferring and hopefully stay working for the company. The meeting went well and the following day he emailed me asking for my updated resume so he could have a meeting with the VP of the company. So I updated it and sent him it. That was about 5 days ago. I haven’t heard anything else back yet? I feel like I have a good reputation with the company and my background would fit well into the work where I would be transferring. I am wondering how long this would take and if I should ask about a update soon or? I also know a few colleagues that know the manager of the new area well that would put a good work in for me if I wanted. Just getting nervous and stressing now

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjdewese

WKR
It depends on your situation. When the startup that I worked for got sold to a larger company it took a few months for the dust to settle and realize who would be left. I was fortunate to have a strong enough place within the 1st company that I was somewhat essential for that business to run under the new company so I lucked out. Good luck I know the process we went through was stressful and it was tough to get an answer from either side. The biggest issue for us was the new management was so different than the management that we used to have so it was hard to know what they were expecting and how we would be judged moving forward. 3 years later and we finally have all of that worked out and business is boomin but the 1st few months sucked.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Thanks guys, How early would be to early to quiz the boss for a update to see if they are willing to even transfer me?

I think it's perfectly acceptable to ask for a timeline of activities, understanding that things can and will change.

WCB

WKR
Thanks guys, How early would be to early to quiz the boss for a update to see if they are willing to even transfer me?

I agree with everyone above...I have seen it happen over night and sometimes it takes months depending on the speed of the sale/changeover.

No timeline on inquiring about an update. I would just stop him and say "hey forgot to ask...is there any idea on the timeline just so I know what to expect if I make plans." or something along those lines. He may say he has no idea or he might say he expects it to be sooner than later. I wouldn't ask specifically on your application/request.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I guess I should stat how the meeting went. He mentioned that there is no current positions available at the new area currently but they would make room for the right person to stay with the company. So I guess I was meaning how and when would be a good time to ask how his meeting went with the VP of the company and if I was going to be transferred

cjdewese

WKR
It sounds like it's been about a week since you've had the conversation with him originally I would think that it would be okay to reach out to see if there's any updates.