How Long Does an Arrow Last?

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
The Black Eagle durability thread got me wondering about this, here's a link to that thread https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/be-rampage-build-durability-concerns.250749/. And I've read several other threads that discuss arrow durability. But I haven't seen anything about what kind of life expectancy do you look for out of a given arrow.

I'll provide my own example. I've been shooting Easton FMJs (I know they aren't popular here) for several years. I bought a dozen new shafts last August, I have two left out of that dozen. I've lost a few by missing targets (one lost on a grouse), but more have broken on rebar in 3d targets. Between March/April and October I shoot 4-5 days a week at my local 3d range (maybe one or two days a week the rest of the year). This dozen is really just an example, I obviously had some arrows that I continued to use and bought some additional arrows since last August. But there you go... when you buy a dozen arrows how long do you expect to have them?

And then to further that, does spending an extra $70 on Iron Will collars extend the life of your arrows enough to justify an additional $70 per dozen? Or is that something you spend money on because you don't want an arrow failure when you're actually shooting an animal?

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I made 5 arrows in the last 2 weeks. I have 2 left. Shot the ratchet strap on my target. Snapped the arrow. Hit a hook on another one... bye arrow. Lost another one... bye arrow.

Then again I've got arrows that I've had for a few years. My point is based on two things. Depends on what you hit and how shitty the arrow AND shooter is.

nphunter

WKR
I'm on the same dozen going on 3 years. Typically the only time I break an arrow is if a dead elk falls on it and snaps it. Sometimes they live through a couple of kills, I just wash them off and put them back in the quiver.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I still have a dozen arrows that I've used since 2008. Toughest arrows I've shot that are also very accurate with great specs, but they discontinued them several years ago.

Been shooting my RIP TKO's now for 2 years and they're all still there and in great shape.

18 years or 3 seconds.

Just depends on how you treat them.

My 3d shafts I think I'm down to 8-9 of the dozen. They get shot, a lot. Had them 3 years now.
I know guys been shooting the same indoor shafts for 10-12 years, some even still have original fletching.

My hunting shafts, some of them are just gone. Once passing thru they can be anywhere, generally find them, but it's no guarantee.

If you are outright breaking that many arrows, either evaluate what and how you are shooting (distance versus target size and skill) or you just really do have some fragile arrows (which they mostly seem pretty durable anymore for what I have seen). Collars are more to prevent that arrow from failing in a hunting situation, they are too much headache for targets. Might find same arrows in a cheaper spec range for practice, and keep 6-12 of the higher end ones for hunting(.006 versus .001).

Geewhiz

WKR
I usually buy 2 dozen at a time and they last 3 years or so before i'm down to a half dozen and feel like i need more.