How long does it take to break down an elk in the field?

Rich M

WKR
Never broke an elk down before - have done a 600+ steer and it took 5 hours.

So - how long does it take and do you debone as part of the process?

Thanks,

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of variables to factor in, day vs. night (dark with a headlight), steepness of the terrain, solo or with another guy etc. To breakdown into quarters, debone and ready for pack out I've run between 1.5 hours and up to 2.5 hours. I'm not the fastest (guys on YouTube do it in 30 min) but I'm methodical and have my system that works for me. Solo I had a bull broken down and hanging in game bags over a creek in 1.5 hours in the daylight. Last year it took me 2+ hours to break my bull down in the dark and have it in bags and hanging. It had been a long 4 days and I was extremely tired so I took breaks and ate snacks. When the heat is an issue I definitely move with a purpose to get things done, later in the season when the temps are cooler I take my time and go at my own pace. As long as you aren't loosing meat to spoilage I don't think there is a wrong answer.

EDIT* I hunt is extremely wet enviroments with a lot of mud and debris so I take my time to keep the meat clean as possible which definitely adds time.

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
With 3 folks working together we usually need an hour to 1.5 hours if all we are doing is breaking down the elk for meat and not trying to cape out for a mount or preserve the hide for a rug. This does not include deboning. We usually just want to get the meat bagged and cooling and worry about deboning later depending on cooler space needs.

If I was deboning in the field as I was bagging meat to hang and cool, I'd say that would add at least 1/2 hour to double the time.

The time added for caping or preserving hide also adds about the same amount of time.

Solo, add at least 1 hour.....it could take several hours doing it all by yourself and being careful with everything.

I would add that speed is NOT the focus here. Being very careful, particularly when multiple peeps are using knives at the same time. Rushing is a very bad idea. Alot of communication, taking time, and coordination are required to do this job. And in the end your back and legs will be toast, and probably your grip as well. The only real rush is to get that hide off quickly so the meat can start cooling.

Take your phone out, throw on some Bob Seger, and take your time enjoying breaking down your kill. In my opinion, I try as hard as possible to not rush. Rushing, especially when youre tired, can result in lost meat from poor cuts or even worse, a slipped knife to the opposing hand or leg etc. The worst injuries I have heard of in the backcountry come from a slipped knife while breaking down an animal. Depending on the situation/circumstances, I have broken down a bull solo at the fastest in probably 2 hours but that was jamming because of heat. In all reality it usually takes me 3+ hours with hide etc.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Good point on the whole multiple guy & knives thing - cutting gloves are a requirement for me, fish or game.

Other good point about not rushing - I'm curious - talked to someone and it seems we're gonna have a good chance at getting an elk on a deer hunt. Wanting to be able to know how long we're gonna be at it.

Seems like an elk is easier to break down than a cow/steer. I can skin and quarter a deer in 1/2 hour or so while having a beer or two. The skin pulls off easy on a deer.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I did my bull last year in the dark, solo, quartered and hanging in 2.5 hours.
And I agree with the others on the variables, especially where it died.

Bl704

WKR
A lot of variables to factor in, day vs. night (dark with a headlight), steepness of the terrain, solo or with another guy etc.

^this

Probably took us 3.5 hrs to debone and hike one out (~1 mile) a couple years ago. 3 of 4 were breaking it down. Friends father made 1 trip out with prime cuts, 1 carried 1 heavy load, 2 of us made 2 trips.

Last year we had ponies, took longer to get the horses and hike in (a couple hrs) . But once started, maybe 3 hrs-2 guys cutting, 1 guy ferrying meat down to the horses (we could only get them to about 1/4 mile from the elk)....+Maybe 1 to 1.5 mile hike with ponies.

Last edited:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted many variables with size and how they fall if on a nice flat spot seldom I plan on 3.5-4 hrs by myself on a good sized bull to get hanging skinned and bagged if a balled up mess and in bad contorted location on slope add another hour being careful and as noted enjoying yourself and not making a mistake with the knives another set of hands makes it easy👍15 days🥳F2C73B47-6DB3-41F4-AC22-9BAE3217237F.jpeg

11boo

WKR
I still have a scar on my left thumb from rushing a quarter job. I should have taken a break, but wanted to hurry up and start packing. Take your time, a couple hours, or as long as it takes. Many variables.

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
And in CO do not forget to leave evidence of sex attached to one of the quarters.....its like a haircut.......hard to put it back on once you cut it off. Easy to do in the excitement and rush to break down an elk.........

Poser

WKR
I’m gonna say 3-4 hours is typical for most people, but 5 hours isn’t unreasonable. I used to work in a butcher shop where I would completely break down 3-5 hogs a week. It would usually take me about 45 minutes. I’m sure there are people faster, and I wasn’t under time pressure, but that was on a work table under ideal work conditions and not having to skin it.

cnelk

WKR
This cow took me about 45 mins by myself.
I really helps to know where to cut socket joints and muscle groups.

B9C00704-F848-4BB7-8B49-52117B86D1C1.jpeg9E5724A2-FA3F-4E82-A4CD-D019380FC3BD.jpeg

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I think that it's pretty normal for me to take about 2 hours by myself (just breaking the elk down and getting the meat hung to cool). I like to use the gutless method and it is a little quicker than the old school way of gutting and then cutting.

I'd say a couple hours if you're by yourself. My buddy's bull last year took us about an hour with him helping me. He and are both lifetime hunters, so like cnelk says, knowing where to cut to get to the joints sure helps speed things up. Darn cape took as long as the rest of the bull.

2five7

WKR
Somewhere around Bull #10 for the year I'm running about 50 minutes to break down, including caping for taxidermy. Now Bull #1, that's a different story, probably hour and a half or so. I'd add 45 minutes if you are going to de-bone.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Fred Eichler has a YouTube video where he quarters a cow in 10 minutes. For me I would say about 1-2 hours

Poser

WKR
I suppose some of this depends on how you break an animal down beyond quartering. If you’re grinding almost everything, you probably aren’t concerned with separating out muscle groups and sub muscle groups. I want sirloin tips, shanks, eye of round etc to all be cleanly separated. I also take rib meat and everything I can get off the neck. If you’re hacking away for grinder meat, I can see it going as fast as some people are claiming, but if you’re more meticulous with your muscle groups, I’m having a hard time believing some of the posted times unless you are a guide who breaks down many elk a season.

Bearshirt

FNG
Most I have done have taken 2 guys around 2 hours but thats hanging meat in a tree 200 yards away from carcass too. I try to get as much meat off as possible, thats why im there 😊

The bull I got last year was a big bodied 6x6 and his ass end slid under a tree. We started around 10 pm and were taking first load down at day break 630am. It was a long night of wrestling that damn thing. He was between two blow downs and under one. We couldnt get him out for nothing. Im taking a come along this year. Im not going threw that ever again. It was a long night. I was proud of my nephew for not giving up. He is a good hunting partner.