How long does it take to break down an elk in the field?

I think Eichler does one in like 5 minutes and 40 seconds. It's effective. But he leaves the hide on and it's a real quartering job. Fine if you have horses or something else to load the extra weight, don't mind a little hair.

If you aren't experienced in it plan on a few hours with you and extra hands. I had one big bull that I literally didn't feel like I could do it by myself. I skinned out the top side, put couldn't do much else by myself. I did have hands coming so that was probably a factor. But serious props to guys that do it solo. I could do it I believe. But I don't hate them or me that much.

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
Cnelk.....I got me one of them there cutco's with the gut hook......thx for that........

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I did a rag horn by myself in about an hour on the side of the road in the dark.

Out in the field tho, depends who I’m hunting with. I have a buddy that if he and I do it together we could probably do it in under 45 minutes. Other friends just end up holding a leg here and there and then bagging it for me.

If I’m solo I would probably take forever, for the main reason that if I lay myself open really bad I’m screwed. Unless it’s an 80 degree day with no shade why rush it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred Eichler has a YouTube video where he quarters a cow in 10 minutes. For me I would say about 1-2 hours
I've watched that video - it was very helpful.

But let's be fair - he was quartering that cow skin-on, with help. I doubt it would take anyone 1-2 hours to quarter a cow elk if they left the skin on, with help.

11boo

WKR
And in CO do not forget to leave evidence of sex attached to one of the quarters.....its like a haircut.......hard to put it back on once you cut it off. Easy to do in the excitement and rush to break down an elk.........

Good point. Needs done for either sex, and I hate doing the bulls.

njdoxie

WKR
Wow, some of the times to debone are fast.....takes me about 4 hours minimum by myself.
And I only do one a year so I feel like I never get proficient.
I’m very wary of cutting myself so I wear a cut resistant glove on the off hand.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
Depends on where the elk is laying, whether it is dark or if you have a Grizz watching you.

I'd say that between 1 1/2 & 2 hours would be typical for a straight forward, easy lying elk.

Grizz watching you definitely speeds things up!

Take your phone out, throw on some Bob Seger, and take your time enjoying breaking down your kill. In my opinion, I try as hard as possible to not rush. Rushing, especially when youre tired, can result in lost meat from poor cuts or even worse, a slipped knife to the opposing hand or leg etc. The worst injuries I have heard of in the backcountry come from a slipped knife while breaking down an animal. Depending on the situation/circumstances, I have broken down a bull solo at the fastest in probably 2 hours but that was jamming because of heat. In all reality it usually takes me 3+ hours with hide etc.
and don't forget stopping to straighten up and make the back cramps let loose ….. IF it's past 2 pm I'll normally build a fire first thing, especially if solo - the colder it is the friendlier that fire feels - As said DON'T hurry ….

Most I have done have taken 2 guys around 2 hours but thats hanging meat in a tree 200 yards away from carcass too. I try to get as much meat off as possible, thats why im there 😊

The bull I got last year was a big bodied 6x6 and his ass end slid under a tree. We started around 10 pm and were taking first load down at day break 630am. It was a long night of wrestling that damn thing. He was between two blow downs and under one. We couldnt get him out for nothing. Im taking a come along this year. Im not going threw that ever again. It was a long night. I was proud of my nephew for not giving up. He is a good hunting partner.
THOSE are the times that make GOOD memories (believe it or not) Some of the best memories, and laughs, come from conversations about those bygone misery packouts and such …..

Repeat after me: GUTLESS METHOD

Using the gutless method you can skin back one side and remove both quarters and backstrap/ tender, then roll over and repeat. I don’t keep ribs but do try and remove some neck meat for burger if a bull (not enough to interest me on a cow). To quarter and bag with bone takes about 45 minutes. If I debone, add about 30 min. I don’t worry about making my processing later easier. My only goal is to get the elk to my truck and get it to a cooler. Now I am a veterinarian so I have a better feel for anatomy than most but once you have done it a few times shouldn’t take you much longer than me. Certainly not more than 1.5 hours. I do the entire job with a folding Buck type knife (3” blade) and don’t use a saw if any kind. But that is prob due to my vet training. Can go thru a joint with just a knife so never saw the need to haul a saw.

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
Quartered, skinned and in bags shouldn't take more than 45 minutes.

Boned and in bags, add another half hour.

The key is having sharp knives and knowing where to make the cuts. Its the first couple dozen you deal with that are tough, after that it gets much easier.

I killed a cow and a 5 point bull a few years back in about 30 seconds. I shot them exactly 1.24 miles from my camp at about 8:30 AM. I had both of them quartered and in game bags and a hind packed back to camp by noon. I had a full elk plus a quarter back by dark, finished up the next day with the packing.

shadow

FNG
First bull, first time, we were right at 45 minutes from tag on to meat in bags, in a good spot. 2 guys running knives and a 3rd holding legs and helping with holding the game bags. We were not caping for a mount, and we did the gutless method. Tenderloins took a little longer to get out without gutting, and the heart was difficult to retrieve but I wouldn't have done it any different. One good thing I did was brought one of those mylar emergency blankets with so you could set boned out meat or a quarter on the sheet without getting it covered in leaves and pine needles.

By myself I'd expect about 1.5 hours like others have said. Just so much meat and the pieces are large. The skinning took way more than I anticipated. The hide is much tougher than I expected being used to whitetails.

The emergency blanket idea is a good one. Lightweight and not bulky. May try that. Having something to lay it on where it doesn’t get dirty is important

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
The only downfall about the Mylar blankets is the meat sticks to them once placed on them and the blanket goes where the meat goes

So if you use them, plan on that little frustration if by yourself

Deertick

FNG
Cnelk .. yep, true that. Sticky.

I think it’s best to just move slowly and deliberately. Skin from the hoof up, and slide the bag up as you go

With 2 other guys doing the lifting and pulling, and me doing all the knife work, with a simi flat spot, about 15 minutes to skin and quarter and about another hour or so to debone. But as has been mentioned, there are a lot of variables involved.

never tried the "race to undressing an elk" approach - sounds like an upcoming reality show to me …..

Had 2 cows broken down in bags hung in trees in 75 min last year with one guy cutting and 1 guy holding and bagging. Right before dark with poor light. Gutless method makes it a piece of cake