How long does it take you to get to camp?

blb078

WKR
Just curious how long it takes people to get to their camp from their truck, in hours and how many miles in from your truck? If you move from day to day how long does it take to get to your first spot typically. Assuming it's early or mid season and fair weather going up a mountain.

Slim Jim

WKR
My camp 8 1/2 miles into the rubys with a 2200' ascent takes me about 6 1/2 to 7 hrs with a loaded pack and that's stopping about 1/2 way in for an eating break

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Takes us around 9 hours...I have made it in 7 before but was absolutely dead. Its a 6 mile hike with around 4000' of elevation gain.

sk1

WKR
took me 6 hours for 6 miles this year......lots of stream crossings and i found on the way out i took the hard way lol, i think i could do that same 6 miles in about 4 hours now that i know a better way to get there. you never find the easy way until the hunt is over!

took me 6 hours for 6 miles this year......lots of stream crossings and i found on the way out i took the hard way lol, i think i could do that same 6 miles in about 4 hours now that i know a better way to get there. you never find the easy way until the hunt is over!
thats the truth!

Totally depends and I haven't had the opportunity the last few years to hunt to same areas more than one year in a row. But I usually am right around the 2mph mark. Sometimes hit 3-3.25 depending on terrain.

Mike

2rocky

WKR
On foot, weekend hunt 2-4 miles around 2-3 hours

On Horseback Week long hunt 6-10 miles 3-4 hours.

Opportunity exists between the two extremes if you are looking for the overlooked area..

I try to keep a 3 mph pace when hiking in. I am not a hiker so the less time it takes the better ha. I don't always hunt the same places but one area I have hunted is about 9.5 and it takes about 3.5 hours.

I have been through the area brocka hunts and that trail is steep.

sk1

WKR
google earth is the devil, it made me attempt 4000ft elevation gain in 1.5 miles.....granted i knew it was going to be horrible and it absolutely was....i flew there in just a few seconds on google earth...no trail and bushwhacking almost the entire way, do not recommend.

im a sucker for ge every time.

2rocky

WKR
Delorme topo lets you do elevation profiles . It has made me change a route a time or two.

Also the 3d view is more realistic than GE..

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
My trips vary greatly from each other, and i typically never have a specific spot in mind to camp and just have a general area i plan to camp in based off areas on the topos that look good. It ranges from anywhere from 1-2 miles, to 10-12 miles. I average 2-3mph, and am only carrying 30ish lbs.

dotman

WKR
I have no clue, I tend to not pick a spot and see how fast I can get there. I'm always watching for sign and exploring off the trails while I'm on my way to a general area. No reason to go back 4 miles if you find them 1 mile back.

Foldem

WKR
Delorme topo lets you do elevation profiles . It has made me change a route a time or two.

Also the 3d view is more realistic than GE..

You can do the elevation profiles in GE too. Just plot a path with the measurement tool, save it, then right click on it and click 'show elevation profile'.