How Long For Wallow Water to Settle/Clear

TX_Diver

WKR
Seen some discussions in the past on people determining activity at a wallow based on if there's mud stirred up in the water.

What kind of time frame does that indicate to people? i.e. How long does it take the mud/sand/etc to settle and the water to become clear again?

Cheers

It depends on whether the water is flowing or stagnant and what kind of soil it's in.

A wallow in a seep that flows downhill will clear much faster than a stagnant point will settle.

One that has been used and one that is being used will be instantly recognizable.

Clear water in a bowl shaped depression with dry, cracked mud splatter versus cloudy and fresh mud full of stink.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
No idea. If I want to know if a bull is actively using one put a stick in the mud in the middle. Come by and check every day and see if it has been displaced.

Interesting idea I hadn't considered. Good tip though, especially as something that can be checked from a distance with binos rather than walking up on the wallow again.

ElkNut1

WKR
Game camera as well, you'll get the times he's using it!

If an elk walks through a wallow it will clear in 1/2 hour. If he rolls & rakes with his horns in it; it could take 12 hours minimum to clear.

ElkNut

jmez

WKR
Another option. In the late am afternoon between hunts just get out in the wallow and roll around in it. Then you can sit and see how long it takes to clear up! If you've never watched a bull wallow, you need to get pretty aggressive.