How long have you been at your current job?

PaHunter86

Lil-Rokslider
7yrs with this gig. Longest one I have been at. It was usually 5yrs and move on. I did HVAC/R for 15yrs. Then 7 years ago I made the career change to Industrial/Automation Mechanic.

Been servicing pools for 2 years now. I've been enjoying it. Work alone, outside, listen to podcasts, music's or books all day.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Been in current job 15.5 years. Was in my first job 20 years. I like my job, (public safety support) but the last 20 months have changed my outlook. I used to look at my 401k every 6 months. I now look every other day.

4 years. I’ve been in other jobs longer. The reason I take a job definitely effects how long I stick with it. ie took my last job to make ends meet to take care of the family, but eventually got established enough I could change careers to something I am passionate about.

39 years as a Conservation Officer. Pulled the plug 2.5 years ago. My wife and I are long overdue for some traveling but it's been put on hold with this Covid, which is raging in our area again. Seems like the whole family got it for the holidays. Bummer

SoDak19

FNG
Switched jobs mid-2020. Was in my previous position for 5+ years. Best decision of my life thus far was leaving the old job.

11 years 2 months with the federal government. Hoping to do 30 and ride off into the sunset with a decent pension.

10 years. Big company, but great small team that I work with. I respect the hell out of small business owners. I often think it sounds enticing, but at the end of the day I value being able to work my 40-45 hours a week and shut it down. Lot more long term security there too.

I think it is natural to get somewhat antsy though. Just have to remember that the grass isn’t always greener. I think every place has its issues. But then again change can always be positive too!

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
10 years. (Same place since college, technically) I’ve had a bit of a strange career. Started at a small firm (less than 50 people) as an electrical engineer. Got my MBA and worked my way up to the director of finance and admin. Small share holder. Then we sold the firm to a large National company. Now I’m the operations manager for our local team. The work can be stressful but the pay is good, benefits are good and have flexible hours.

I’ve looked elsewhere but always came to realize that every occupation will have its stressors just different flavors. I learned that if I want advancement I need to be part of the changes and not just sit back and wait to have someone else make the changes. Short of my employer treating me poorly I’d be hard pressed to change careers at this point.

As others have said, never hurts to look, take interviews etc. but don’t think you HAVE to make a change just to make a change. Make sure it’s the right change (hard to know I’m sure). I make hiring decisions regularly and those resumes I get that show someone hopping jobs every year are generally at the bottom of the pile to be honest.

Good luck! Hope it all works out.

This is the only advice I have, I forgot where I even heard it.
Your job is only to fund the things you really enjoy in life, it doesn't have to be your dream job but just something where you aren't miserable, paid fairly, and have some time off.
If you are miserable there, maybe it's time for a change. But I know a lot of guys that have talked themselves out of a good job, because the grass was greener. Well they are still chasing that green grass.
Find something that checks the boxes, find a way to make yourself content, and focus on the other aspects of your life.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
This is the only advice I have, I forgot where I even heard it.
Your job is only to fund the things you really enjoy in life, it doesn't have to be your dream job but just something where you aren't miserable, paid fairly, and have some time off.
If you are miserable there, maybe it's time for a change. But I know a lot of guys that have talked themselves out of a good job, because the grass was greener. Well they are still chasing that green grass.
Find something that checks the boxes, find a way to make yourself content, and focus on the other aspects of your life.
Worth it's weight in gold right there.

WCB

WKR
9 years...get to talk about shooting and hunting everyday. Some times it actually sucks believe it or not but overall can't complain.

JeffP_Or

WKR
11 years in the current job [and third]; 3 years in the 1st professional job; 18 in the second [closed the doors of that place after struggling a couple of years in the 2008 recession].
I've seen the 'grass is greener' syndrome in others but if you don't have a target, it seems they just keep chasing that pretty pasture only to never find it.

Musky

Lil-Rokslider
12 years in March for me. I've had the bug to move on the last two years, unfortunately, nothing in my area for my expertise. Which is insane and manufacturing is exploding. Technology is really ruining the process of applying for new jobs. You could be overly qualified and never receive a call back or even be considered. That's my opinion anyways.

bobinmi

WKR
I'll hit 7 years shortly. I'll stay as long as they keep me. First issue is that I work in healthcare security and there just are not that many options to leave. Second issue is that I lack any semblance of an entrepreneurial spirit.

Most accurate thing I've ever heard about working. "We're all independent contractors in the game of life." Stan Efferding I've been here over 5 years, I thought they were gonna fire me over a stance I took, but they didn't. So loyalty has to go both ways.