How long have you been at your current job?

Going on 8 years now. I’ve learned a few important things:

1) Your company doesn’t really care about YOU. It’s up to you to make your career what you want it to be. Nobody is watching for an opportunity to promote you, you have to go get it.

2) If you feel like you’re chasing a carrot, you probably are and you need to reassess what the real expectation is.

7 working days in new gig so still getting onboarded, training etc.
Old job is dragging their feet with my leave payout. Well more like incompetence than anything planned.
I'm sure there will be multiple items in the classifieds I can't live without when it finally comes in.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
Just hit my 10 year mark. Boss and boss's boss came by with a 10 year certificate and gift card to thank me for my time here.

Been in current job 15.5 years. Was in my first job 20 years. I like my job, (public safety support) but the last 20 months have changed my outlook. I used to look at my 401k every 6 months. I now look every other day.
What do you do in public safety support?

toddh

FNG
19 years at an electric co-op. I enjoy it. Not my dream job but I enjoy it. 11 more to go.

eh254413

Lil-Rokslider
I recently moved jobs after working at a place I loved for 3 years. It was a opportunity that I couldn't pass up and it involved moving about 6 hours away from family. After working at the new place for about 6 months, I realized how much I hate it and it made me feel super depressed. I ended up talking with my old boss and he was super excited to get me back. They welcomed me back with open arms and a pay raise. What made me feel like I needed to change jobs had a lot to do with a lack of appreciation for what I had. There are obviously exceptions but it was the definitely the case in my situation. I plan on staying at my current job for a long time now.

archp625

WKR
Yesterday was my 5 year anniversary. The company I work for has been nothing but great. Its a 5th generation company and the owners care. I have been promoted once since joining. My boss is retiring at the end of the year. I hope they think I am up to the task in taking over the department.

TL44

FNG
7 years. I had to do a complete career change after 5 years in another industry... I did not enjoy that and learned that liking my job is very important to me.

I oversee technology (primarily radio communications) for 2 counties (we serve ~57 law, fire, EMS agencies). I make sure that when an officer or FF smashes the big button on his/her radio, they are heard!
Awesome. I'm in a support field as well, which is why I asked. I was so fascinated by the radio tech when I was in the field that I studied and got my amateur license just to better understand it. Here in Colorado, there are a lot of places that radios didn't reach out of and guys and gals like you have done a ton of work to improve that.

Been at the current job for 17 years.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Currently finishing up my second week in my new job. Finally getting out of the training material and shadowing client calls.

Previous company was 6.5 years including my internship. I was one of the last original people at that job. Leaving was a little rough, but only from a personal standpoint. I loved my coworkers there, but the product wasn't going where it needed to.

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
About to hit 13 years next month. Yikes its making me feel old. I took this job in the food industry in 2009 to be recession proof after a layoff in 2008 due to the economy. Looking back I am glad I made that choice, I like what I do and it has put my family in a much better place.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Retired Oct.1 after 33 years.
I had a company vehicle.
The last several years I kept a- “the truck’s in the driveway, the keys are in it, you can come pick it up” fund in case I had my fill of them.

grfox92

WKR
I seem to burn out after 4-5 years weather I enjoyed the job or not. Longest I've ever stayed at one company was 8 years and the last 3 we're brutal to say the least.

I've done well for myself even not retaining in one company long term.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
Have only worked 2 jobs in my adult life but have 4 different side businesses that my wife and I own. I like holding down a M-F 8-5 job with full benefits as a security net. My boss is extremely understanding and allows me all the freedom I need to manage the other stuff I do. In exchange, I make him a lot of money.

Rich M

WKR
At this job 16 years total so far, over 2 stays - 8 yrs each. As a consultant.

Take this with a grain of salt -

In general, the folks I know who tend to job hop (or who did before retirement) have less savings, less investments, and less vacation time. Also, from those that I personally know, they job hop because they have anger or control issues.

Some jobs do not offer raises, decent benefits, or advancement. They can be used as stepping stones to gain experience and knowledge. You need to know what you are getting into, plan it, and stay 2 or 3 years. Then you leave no matter what - don't get absorbed into a toxic environment.