How long have you been at your current job?

im in about the same boat as the OP. been here since i graduated college 4 years ago, plus interned before. the flex schedule was worth the lower pay as they kept promising project bonuses, but yet to receive (pretty standard in my field) just completed a 5.4 million dollar project that has been absolute hell due to one of our owners. Ive already put feelers out to other companies as i dont think they plan on doing what they say anymore. ive lost all confidence in the owners and my direct boss to back me up on projects instead of throwing me under the bus, so its time to go.

I probably would have left sooner but i do enjoy my work and wanted to see this project through to completion.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Been with my current company 2.5 years. Got a in place promotion that came with a few extra responsibilities in the spring. It is way more interesting and has a ton of variety so I don’t see myself going anywhere for a few years. Was at my previous job for about 7 years and it was very monotonous.
Monotonous,,,,,welcome to my world. 21 years of it.
I get more job satisfaction mowing my lawn.

Conroy

WKR
I have changed jobs every 5-6 years. I started in smaller companies and then with experience I was able to move on to larger companies for bigger salaries and benefits. About 3.5 years ago I went back to a small company after the one I was at was sold. I left the day I was eligible to keep my bonus. They needed me there to turnover with the new ownership and gave management a percentage of the sale to stay. Now I am looking at working for myself this spring and getting out of here for good.

bozeman

WKR
10.5 years.....job challenges change daily (Global Supply Chain Mgmt).......keeps it interesting.

tdhanses

WKR
My first 3 jobs out of college on avg lasted 3.5yrs, current job I’m at 11 years and planning on another 15 to 20.

I think in my youth I always felt i needed to jump jobs for advancement, in reality experience is still king not education as there is so much you can only learn with time, it may seem like advancement comes jumping from job to job but usually that is small and just in a title but not real. For me I had better titles when i had 6yrs experience but half the pay i had at 15yrs, don’t get caught up in job titles, get caught up in benefits, pay and bonuses as a title won’t fund your life or retirement.

WKR
Worked for the man for 22 years.

Worked on my own the last 11. Made more in last 11 than I did in 22 years. Now I have a small successful business and 2 great employees who I treat very well. Could retire but feel no need to ever stop working as I love what I am doing. Hoping down the road my kids can do the same with their own businesses doing things they love to do.

ODB

WKR
6 years. It’s not super hard, interesting, nor high-paying. I work from home (have since well before Covid), and the hardest part about that is my wife or kid coming in every 5 minutes asking where something is or some other non-emergency. I have thought of buying a small office building, renting part and setting up my office in the other part. A man needs a quiet place - especially when writing for the market.

I am working on a side-hustle though. Something that works 24/7 and keeps the nickels dropping into the bank. Ain’t gonna get rich, but it will allow me to do something I’m interested in - even to a limited degree.

My average time at a job is about 5 years. I have done everything from software programming, map making, network administration, teldata, CNC programming, driving a truck, and writing. Not sure if that qualifies me as a polymath or a dilettante.

wweaver

FNG
Three years now but same line of work for 17 years. Now it’s just for a three letter white collar welfare gov agency. I still have a lawn business I do by myself for the satisfaction of being productive and extra cash for hunting stuff,gas, trips. Not changing again. Starting over with just three weeks vacation is hard, I had worked up to six previously which is necessary when you have a addiction to cross country multi week hunting trips. Time off is so important.

Great thread!

I'm in agency staffing so I work with all sorts of different clmpanies, industries, and positions.

If you jump around too much that can be a deterrent to employers. If you've been at one job too long, that can also be a deterrent. The resumes that garner the most interest are people who stay at companies long enough to get a promotion or two, and show advancement in their job duties.

Large corporate companies can be sticklers for college degrees, type of degree, or having a certain certification. Smaller to mid sized companies lean more towards experience.

You only live once so if you hate your job, make a change. Can be better can be worse, at least you did something.

40 years...with a company I started. You want the benefits then stop relying on others to provide them. You will always be a cog in a business machine. Easily replaced or discarded. There is no security being an employee. But usually those who cannot hold a job long term are often lacking in the discipline and tenacity necessary to succeed in business, haven't selected work that ignites their inner passion and/or forever bounce from company to company seeking an unrealistic end. What you need isn't another job, it's more likely you need personal growth and the pursuit of something you actually love. Start there...the money will follow.

1639150080840.jpeg

21 years hauling fuel for the same company been driving truck 26 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ODB

WKR
40 years...with a company I started. You want the benefits then stop relying on others to provide them. You will always be a cog in a business machine. Easily replaced or discarded. There is no security being an employee. But usually those who cannot hold a job long term are lacking in the discipline and tenacity necessary to succeed in business, haven't selected work that ignites their inner passion and/or forever bounce from company to company seeking an unrealistic end. What you need isn't another job, it's more likely you need personal growth and the pursuit of something you actually love.

View attachment 355125

A lot of truth here. There is a lot of fervor about a 4-day work week. I told a guy once he’ll be just as unhappy flipping burgers 4 days a week as 5 - he could conceded it was true.

I think the trick is of course doing something fulfilling/purposeful.

As far as being replaced, I saw it put succinctly once: when you die, your job opening will hit the papers before your obituary. Pretty true.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
8 years now here, its been a good run with a lot of opportunity for growth and expansion. My "side" hustle as most call them based on income level with it is going pretty well too. The reward of sticking around for a long time has been good.

Phaseolus

WKR
4 years of being retired, best job I ever had. I spent 30 years at the same job running a pinto bean seed program.