How long should I be able to hold full draw?

BlackFlag

FNG
Good afternoon folks,

I'm curious as to how long I should be able to hold my bow at full draw, understanding full well that this could be wildly subjective. I'm trying to understand and/or identify if my poundage is too high, or if I have an incorrect draw length. I went to the pro shop where I purchased the bow and I've received some conflicting advise, especially concerning the pull weight of the bow.

My issue is that I feel I'm shaking way to much with my bow arm, with and without a stabilizer (have tried a 6, 10, and 12 inch). When trying to get the pin to sit still, I feel muscle fatigue and tension build up. I try to be conscious about not gripping the bow, so though it could be a problem, it may not be the issue.

suggestions welcomed

mrgreen

WKR
First, welcome to Rokslide.

If the limbs on your bow are tightened all the way, you can back the bolts out to reduce the draw weight. That's an easy place to start.

mvmnts

WKR
If you are expending energy trying to keep the pin still, you are wasting a lot of energy. The pin is going to waver back and forth regardless, don't fight it, it's a waste of energy. Make sure you are breathing and not holding your breathe, I tend to do that a lot trying to still things down. I always cringe a little recommending this because it's so expensive, but Controlled Process Shooting is the truth. As far as draw weight goes, just use some common sense, and know that the more you shoot, the stronger you will get. If you can't shoot for half an hour at least, then maybe back off the poundage. Try to be shooting 3x a week. I'm not sure how good this is or not, but even on days when I don't get out to shoot, I will draw and hold the bow while I watch TV, usually I will shoot for holding at full draw for 2 minutes. You can do this sitting and standing to work different muscles.

shoot shoot shoot. Get time in. Also a correct set up, can help prevent poor form habits from setting in too.

Find a shooting buddy you feel is honest, and get some tips while you start out to avoid those bad habits in grip, release , and even head position etc...

Stabilizer weight is key to helping steady that pin (s) but so isn't time at the range.

OP
B

BlackFlag

FNG
Thanks for the replies. I'm currently shooting almost daily, approximately 30 or so arrows. I keep it at about 30 because I've noticed when I shoot a bit more, I get sloppy due to fatigue. My main concern is that I don't want to be spending time shooting improperly due to a poor set up. I'm a complete novice, but practicing with an improper set up will only ingrain poor habits and poor form I imagine. If this is all normal, fantastic, I can work with it knowing that once my mechanics get better I'll improve. The reality of it all is that I could be over complicating an issue since I have zero back round in it, nor do I know of any archers in my sphere of influence that could assist.

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks for the replies. I'm currently shooting almost daily, approximately 30 or so arrows. I keep it at about 30 because I've noticed when I shoot a bit more, I get sloppy due to fatigue. My main concern is that I don't want to be spending time shooting improperly due to a poor set up. I'm a complete novice, but practicing with an improper set up will only ingrain poor habits and poor form I imagine. If this is all normal, fantastic, I can work with it knowing that once my mechanics get better I'll improve. The reality of it all is that I could be over complicating an issue since I have zero back round in it, nor do I know of any archers in my sphere of influence that could assist.

Thanks for all the help!

That is correct and why I suggested to get a helper who is trust worthy to eliminate those form issues, set up issues etc..... Someone who can watch and inform...

30 a day is good to start. After a couple weeks you can increase that, double that and then win 3D shoots etc.
:)
Its a journey - enjoy it

Watch some good you tube videos from John Dudley- "knock on" He will be a very solid influence for you, since you are isolated from other archers.

I was elk hunting this fall and drew back on a bull of a life time and had to hold so long, my string kept trying to jump out of my release. I bet I was holding a solid minute maybe more. You will want to get to a point where you can pre draw before the animal comes out, and then be able to hold it, and hold it and hold it. Add this to your routine at some point and practice shooting while fatigued from excess holding.

I was fortunate. But I also practiced almost every day for 7 months. I would shoot 50 arrow groups 3 or 4 times a day- every day. My muscle memory was there and it paid off under a fatigue setting.

SWOHTR

WKR
I'll occasionally do 1 or 2- minute holds. Not many, not often, and at the end of a session. If you're having trouble with draw weight, back the bolts out a bit. Also, strength training helps. You can go all-out at the gym or just get a large rubber band and do face pulls with it (look at a sporting goods store for these - they're 1-4" wide and about 3 ft long, varying resistances; I have two by Rage Fitness).

OP
B

BlackFlag

FNG
Just got back from the shop/indoor range I got it from. They reduced the draw length and tightened the sight which was evidently pretty loose. tomorrow I'll go back and they're planning on adjusting the sight pins since I'm consistently shooting left. After the adjustments, especially the draw length, the bow felt totally different. Much more "controllable", significantly less movement of the pin.

Thanks again for the help, you guys gave me the questions to ask.

MattB

WKR
A couple things:

If you are fatigued after 30 arrows you are likely pulling too much weight - or perhaps shooting too many arrows in a row. Try shooting 3 good arrows, pull, repeat.

Make sure your cams are synched. It can be the case that shakiness can result from the cams fighting against one another.

I have been shooting trad for a lot of years and decided to try my hand with compound 3 years ago. Shooting Trad bows was so entrenched in my brain I struggle with the compound and I was not confident at all in shooting the damn thing. This year and in the off season I am totally committed to learning proper shot execution with my compound. Purchased a Carter Evolution back tension release (same as Dudley's Silver back) and starting over. Making a lot of progress just in a weeks time. Time holding at full draw at this stage in game for me is proper sequence/fundamentals and shot execution. Good luck.

50 arrow groups?

Yes my target is 12 feet by 12 feet and I just pick out a 10" section....

No
seriously .. I would shoot 50 arrows in a set. Meaning I would shoot 5 arrow groups at my 30, walk to target, retrieve arrows, walk back to the 40, and repeat this process at 50,60,70, yard spots and so on. I would always do the walk back then walk up.

I have destroyed a few arrows shooting 5 shot groups. Then I had days where I had nothing to worry about.
lol

Boreal

WKR
A little extreme, but the owner of my LBS has a video that shows him holding full draw on a sheep for 17 minutes. I don’t suggest that as a minimum, or even something to which you should aspire. But he did get his sheep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little extreme, but the owner of my LBS has a video that shows him holding full draw on a sheep for 17 minutes. I don’t suggest that as a minimum, or even something to which you should aspire. But he did get his sheep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's crazy..
I could never do that
He deserved that sheep

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
seriously .. I would shoot 50 arrows in a set. Meaning I would shoot 5 arrow groups at my 30, walk to target, retrieve arrows, walk back to the 40, and repeat this process at 50,60,70, yard spots and so on. I would always do the walk back then walk up.

Ahhhhh....that makes more sense.;)

As for holding.......before the season starts I'll do holding drills. I'll hold for a minute and then shoot at 60 yards. Nock and draw, hold for a minute and then shoot that arrow at 60. Do that for 5 consecutive arrows and check the group.

I'll also do a 2 to 2.5 minute hold and shoot a BH at 60 as well. But I get bored easily, so these help to break up the monotony of shooting.