How long to leave horses unattended

Kind of curious what the longest amount of time is that you're comfortable with leaving horses tied on their own. Maybe a glassing area can't be reached on horse so you walk the rest of the way, or pursue game on foot. Does leaving them on a highline vs tied to a tree extend that window? I understand there are a lot of variables to this question, but is there a general rule of thumb you follow?

Any preference on highline or tree? Usually 4-6 horses,
I'm not a fan of high lines, they work great for some. I like to leave my stock tied to trees while I'm gone. I have left stock in an electric fence for days with water, and feed and was able to check on them periodically and everything was fine. I leave mine loose at night to feed and tie the other ones I'm not using to trees during the day to keep them out of trouble. I try to do the best to take care of my animals and I like to think they do the same for me.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This whole. “I’m tough and my horses better be tough and stand there and not complain for 18 hours” is far too common in hunting. Proper maintenance and care of an animal
that literally carries you and your gear goes a long way towards being a true outdoorsman and a good partner to the animal.

Last edited:
I'm guessing mine will be tied on average 15 hrs (7pm to 10am) most every day up hunting sometimes longer on kill days,but as soon as I'm back to camp they are out to feed,if you have abunch of snow and have to feed pellets they might be tied for the duration other than watering them,I try and pamper them as much as I can but circumstances may lead u to having them tied for long periods of time,if your in doubt practice at home and tie them up for the night,just make sure and tie high,"high and tie"is real not just a saying

OP
D
After a days walk back to camp on a Colorado elk trip. I'm always leary leaving them in the field now. Yes they were tied good, and took the tree with them . Both were back in camp chewed through the grain bag and enjoying all you can eat hay. No lead ropes on either, one lost the stirrups and the other had no bridle.
I discovered them missing about 7 hrs after leaving them. My first thought was some
m-effer stole my horses but after noticing the tree was gone and the ground was all chewed up, I figured something really spooked them.

OP
D
Yeah, I kinda came to that conclusion myself when I realized the tree was gone and the horses weren't where I left them. It was a small quakie, 5-6" diameter. Don't worry, I had the rest of the day and a good part of the evening walking back to debate myself on the size of tree that horses should be tied to.😂🤠
I think that even if tied to a steel ibeam, those leads/halters aren't going to keep a 1500 pound animal if it decides to go.
dep 77, If they 'took the tree', they were NOT tied good.....hint

There is more to properly tieing a horse than the knot used...

OP
D
Kind of a related story...Different trip this year, two burros (mules?) Come hauling ass down the trail we were riding up. They stopped and hung out on the fringe with our horses, we waited for about 45minutes to see if their owner would show up before resuming up the trail. They followed behind us to our destination at the top and just mosied around like part of the group. Eventually their owner did arrive on his horse and said they had got loose earlier on the next mountain over. It did make me feel better that I wasn't the only dumbass chasing animals back to camp. Just out of curiosity, are these mules or burros?20191110_194112.jpg

Logan T

WKR
Kind of a related story...Different trip this year, two burros (mules?) Come hauling ass down the trail we were riding up. They stopped and hung out on the fringe with our horses, we waited for about 45minutes to see if their owner would show up before resuming up the trail. They followed behind us to our destination at the top and just mosied around like part of the group. Eventually their owner did arrive on his horse and said they had got loose earlier on the next mountain over. It did make me feel better that I wasn't the only dumbass chasing animals back to camp. Just out of curiosity, are these mules or burros?View attachment 132324

Mules. And the horse/mule pulling back and taking the tree part way home with him happens fairly often.... part of the learning curve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Horse nomenclature is different depending on where you live. When we talk about a burro it’s a smaller sized donkey where we are. These look like mules not donkeys.

OP
D
They were small, like petting zoo pony small. Really neat, defined manes on them similar to a zebra. I thought they were burros, my buddy thought they were mules, it was good for an hour debate.

squirrel

WKR
On this topic you should never confuse what you CAN do with what you SHOULD do, and all it takes is returning to a dead tangled animal to clarify the difference, they deserve better, and when it is all on you this will be painfully apparent, if it is not you have no business having stock. (and there are many fall into this category)

EastMont

FNG
They were small, like petting zoo pony small. Really neat, defined manes on them similar to a zebra. I thought they were burros, my buddy thought they were mules, it was good for an hour debate.

Mules of sorts. Most mules are a mammoth jack donkey stud and a female horse. Size is most closely related to the mother's size. Their smallness could be because they are mini mules (mini horse stud x donkey or vice versa) or hinnies (male horse x female donkey). If they were 12-13hh+ then likely hinnies.

pbroski

FNG
On this topic you should never confuse what you CAN do with what you SHOULD do, and all it takes is returning to a dead tangled animal to clarify the difference, they deserve better, and when it is all on you this will be painfully apparent, if it is not you have no business having stock. (and there are many fall into this category)

This is why I'm thinking tied to a tree with a breakaway line, with 3-leg hobbles, and a bell. That way if they get spooked, then go around the tree to where all the slack in the rope gets wound up, they'll be able to break away, instead of injuring themselves in panic. With the 3-leg hobbles they can't travel very fast, and the bell will aid in locating them.