How long will the ammo shortage last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorbLand

WKR
The shortage COULD be over by the end of 2021 if companies can keep up with demand. Pricing is going to take years to come back to what we saw pre March 2020.

Thats a major COULD though...

Laramie

WKR
History repeats itself. We have similar shortages in the past so if a person looks back you can get a good idea. The reality is the shortage will stop when the people bulk buying and selling start to struggle to sell everything they are hoarding. Once they struggle to sell, they quit buying and magically, the shelves are full again. My guess is shelves will be relatively full again by spring.

The shortage isn't being created because people are out shooting more... there is a limit to what people will stockpile, especially once availability loosens up even a little bit.

Quickest way to help stop the shortage- don't buy ammo from the scalpers.

Jonn44

FNG
I talked to a guy at Bass Pro recently and I asked about what he thought about the ammo situation. He said there’s a group of 3-4 guys that show up everyday and wait for the ammo to be put on the shelves and they grab all they’re allowed and leave. It must be nice to have the time to hang around and wait on ammo to appear on the shelves.

WCB

WKR
It will not be anytime soon. Remington getting up and running should add some back into the mix as they were the #3 ammo producer. However, the administration that appears to be headed to the Whitehouse is not going to help the situation. Also, depending on how much longer the governments want to play the Covid game and how long until the next woke social movement decides to burn cities it could get worse.

What nobody seems to understand is large scale ammunition manufacturing is not a quickly scalable thing. Yeah some small niche ammo company states they are going to invest in a new machine or two....big deal. In the grand scheme of things to produce the amounts needed to combat this demand it takes huge output buy machines that can't just be bought and plugged in. It takes months to a year to get machinery up, running, and qualified.

Also, at least through the majority of this shortage 40% of firearm purchases were new gun owners. That is a large amount of people also buying ammo.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I have lots of ammo. Always did. Plus enough components to make enough to wear out several barrels. TP though...I buy as I need. I'm glad I started handloading because I really do enjoy shooting.

z987k

WKR
I have lots of ammo. Always did. Plus enough components to make enough to wear out several barrels. TP though...I buy as I need. I'm glad I started handloading because I really do enjoy shooting.
In 08 you could get handloading materials. Powder and bullets have become unobtainable this time as well.

rayporter

WKR
a long time

every time you hear EL Presidente talk of banning something it will start all over again.

pretty soon it wont be just magazines but anything that is a self loader.

Preach it, brother.

On other forums and here, I have heard people suggest some of the major ammo manufacturers have their production presold beyond a year. Couple that with an incoming administration that has declared its intention to limit firearms and ammo availability and throw in civil unrest and COVID. I’d say 2-3 years before things get back to a new “normal” and I doubt prices come back to where they were ever.

I am encouraged to see some smaller operations popping up to help fill som of the need.

Reactions: WCB
Status
Not open for further replies.