How long will you leave your bag/quilt/down layers compressed?

ChrisAU

WKR
Leaving Wednesday, will be setting up camp Friday afternoon. Obviously can't pack my gear without my quilt and down layers...I have a Hammock Gear Premium 950 Down quilt, Arc'Teryx Cerium LT Hoody, and Kuiu SuperDown ultra pants...any hesitation packing them today vs Wednesday before we leave?

I know thats pretty anal...but I'm in a lull where I can't really do much haha

mlgc20

WKR
It won't be a problem at all. Like you I try to wait until the last minute to pack my quilt. But, a few days here or there is no big deal as long as it's stored properly the rest of the year.

My down is compress for two weeks at a time when I hunt the back country unless I am in it. Never a problem unless you store it that way

bruceride

FNG
My HG stuff stays compressed for a couple of days at a time every time I take it out somewhere. Never had an issue.

KyleS224

FNG
A few days but I'm pretty anal even though I've read countless times it will be fine. I too like to wait until the last minute to pack my quilt

tdot

WKR
Compressed in a simple sac that can still be squished is one thing. I've left down like that for long periods of time (months) with no issues.

Put into a compression sac and sinched down so that it is rock hard is very different, and I wouldn't leave it like that for any real length of time.

ebubedike

FNG
I am interested in this as well. I am planning on trying it out shortly in preperation for another trip. I have a 15* and a 20* bag, both down, and I hope to use one as a quilt over the bag for some -F temps.

I think the dewpoint will ALWAYS be inside a bag unless it is so thin that you are loosing a lot of heat through it???

kiddogy

WKR
all year . I know they generally say not to. I do it anyhow . never been an issue.

I do genrally
(not always)inspect my gear at beginning of each season.

I also store my stuff pretty snug. Roksolid, no. But compressed. I just throw it in the dryer then let it air out about a week before I leave. Then compress it again for the trip. Never been an issue. But I usually only see temps down in the 20's.

kiddogy

WKR
I also store my stuff pretty snug. Roksolid, no. But compressed. I just throw it in the dryer then let it air out about a week before I leave. Then compress it again for the trip. Never been an issue. But I usually only see temps down in the 20's.
ditto . colder then that ,I ain't sleepin outside. there is simply no need to pack in miles once it gets that cold , to find anything I ever hunt.

ditto . colder then that ,I ain't sleepin outside. there is simply no need to pack in miles once it gets that cold , to find anything I ever hunt.
That's why they created the bedroll Kiddogy. My bedroll may be a tad heavy, but when it's down below the 30's I sleep like a king! I have even overslept on 2 hunts.