How many are using a Sport SXS for hunting access, which one and your experience?

OP
L
Thanks for all the input guys. Pulled the trigger a few months ago on a Honda Talon x4. Love it.

Already have about 320 miles on it, mostly through forest roads with a little rock crawling thrown in for fun.

Great for miles of forest road travel to get to access spots plus with bed extender (future) it'll be fine for some property work.

Since I can drive it on the street and knew it'd be replacing my 3/4 ton duramax for lots of forest road miles, I chose the Talon over the Pioneer. With all those miles it does just make it much more fun and comfortable. Even my close friend in his built Tacoma Fox shocks, 6" lift, 35's, etc.) definitely drives much slower so he doesn't feel like he's beating up his truck too much. I was leaning towards an older, built Tacoma as similar price, but my buddy convinced me to go SXS as they're purpose built for what I'll be doing.

Trying to keep the mods simple and pragmatic, like winch, 32" tires for snow, windshield, roof rack coming. Likely will get a bed extender for a decent little bed.

Chose the 4 seater for enough space to take my 2 big pups or lots of gear if wanted to set up a base camp I'd do day hunts out of or be able to come back to after 2-3 day backpack hunts in the general area.

It's also simply a lot of fun to drive when cruising the area or scouting hikes. Being street legal in MT is huge as I can drive from my place 5-15 miles to get to forest roads.

Just thought I'd share my perspectives in case someone else is considering it.

cheers,

s

Moutain trail spring 2021.jpgIMG_2015.jpegIMG_2310 2.jpegsnow trail spring 2021.jpgTalon side view.jpg

Last edited:
Have a can am commander 1000 more of a do all machine but it gets us 2 and from just fine

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Just picked up a RZR xp4 1000. Gonna be pulling dual duty as a family wagon for kids and dog in the off season and hunting rig that can carry ebikes as well for the in season.
God help me with the accessory buying. Luckily it had most of what i wanted already, but NOTHING is even remotely cheap though.
All that being said, Im super stoked to have her in the stable.

wyosteve

WKR
You guys are making me drool. I sold my Can Am Commander in May after putting down a deposit on a new Commander which was supposed to ship in June. Still not shipped and who knows when it will get here. Dealers out here have virtually no inventory.

Thanks for that. Yep the Honda has some rattles. I need the 3 across seating, so it’s Pioneer 1000 or Can Am. Is the 800 quieter than the 1000, or do you know? Thx, sorry to jump on another guys thread.
No the 1000 is quieter. Only down side if you call it a down side is power. It will run 60+ mph. Which is a lot for a bench type seating. Becareful with kids.

One of my good friends has 1000 crew it’s a little over a year old now with 3k miles. No issues…he is a houndsmen so that says a lot he hasn’t torn it up yet

tdhanses

WKR
What I like about my Pioneer 1000-5, it fits 4 adults and a 90lb dog without anyone being squished.

I had mine tuned and it adds some power and runs cooler now, no issue getting to 60mph and i’m guessing the actual speed is faster with the 30’s, ride is smooth with fox shocks.

66E3EDF1-BCDC-4E99-A893-9BDD9BB43F27.jpeg

manitou1

WKR
I have a Yamaha Wolverine X4 that we use extensively! Would highly recommend. Best of both worlds... and yes, they climb like a billy goat!
Dependable, quiet, versatile.
You're welcome!

OP
L
1000 mile report and it's been great to have the sxs. I was a little torn at first as I had gotten so comfortable sleeping in the back of my long bed duramax if at an access point, but when it's 20-40 miles of potholed, rocky forest roads, it's very nice to roll through there so easy with the sxs. Picked up a canvas bedroll and 3" foam pad so a base camp is fast as well as comfortable.

Being street legal in MT, I ended up simply driving it from my place anywhere from 15-40min on the streets before getting to forest roads. Top speed is something like 70 so it's not too bad going 55-60 plus much better with a windshield. Definitely saves time.

I hear the Hondas are some of the quietest sxs's but coming from a truck, it's still quite loud. I wear ear plugs now so it's not a big deal.

Snow coming so this winter we will see how it plows...

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
I had a can-am commander for a year, it was an amazing machine and we hauled a bunch of deer in it however a neighbor wanted to buy it do i let it go and purchased a new ranger. It fit my needs much better. The gearing alone was worth the switch. It was also much quieter and the bed was huge compared to the cam-am.

We had a Polaris general 4 seater and while it was great for hunting. The interior cab was really loud and It lacked a lot of power when loaded down and had constant clutch problems. Never could get the clutching right whether it was stock or after market. That was a huge pain

If i were to do it all over again I’d get a rzr turbo pro 4 seater since the back seats can be removed and folded flat unlike any other models of Polaris sxs’s. And find a way to enclose it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
My SxS is my 1987 Suzuki Samurai...cost me $3500. I can generally go anywhere a ATV can go and with the narrow wheelbase I can permit it to use on the off-road trails you can't take pickups on. I have a hard top for winter, soft top or bikini for summer. I also put the fold down windshield kit on it for full topless back road hunting. Heater, radio, I converted the A/C into a compressor so I can pump up my tires and other stuff. I can also drive it around town. Had both a lope in the back as well as a few bucks. I'm sure I could put a elk in it with a little stuffing. I also have a tiny trailer I pull if I need more things. Just saying $3500 cash.-WW

wyosteve

WKR
Finally got my new Commander in July. Major improvements on the 2021 model. They lengthened the wheelbase and moved the engine to the rear. Cut the noise by 50% or more to my ears. Also increased the width so the bed/box is wider and deeper. I got the XT-P model which has 30 inch tires and not the big lug style tread. More of an all terrain tread so much better on the highway as well. Only have 100 miles on it, but it's a winner in my opinion.

marktole

WKR
4EA57C63-E919-4F1B-B958-A14A5E583420.jpeg
81CB16DD-71C3-481D-8872-30D704CAE2AD.jpeg
Can Am Commander. Got it for the same reasons pretty much everyone here has echoed. Just got it a few weeks ago and got the windshields and light bars on it a few days ago. All the cargo space will be nice to hunt off this rig for extended periods. Need to get some fuel cans, spare tire, some other gear to have it out for a week at a time as well. Using it in Kansas it is pretty much just a toy, but have an AZ late rifle elk tag in December that a buddy and I are going to use it on.

wyosteve

WKR
marktole- I can't tell from the pics, but what windshield do you have on it? I have a Can Am Powerflip on order for mine.

marktole

WKR
marktole- I can't tell from the pics, but what windshield do you have on it? I have a Can Am Powerflip on order for mine.
It is the can am power flip one.

Dealer told me it was back ordered until December 2nd, but can am’s website let me order it online. It was at more door the next day. Just an fyi if your dealer is telling you the same thing.

There are plenty of options that are a great mix of both. The newer kawasaki mules, polaris rangers etc. no reason to get one that is straight utility or straight sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks for the update. I'll be stopping by the dealer on Thursday and if they have no insight, I'll cancel it and order direct.